Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that they will physically fit, but does anyone see any issues with the Rhino lugs being 10 mm and the YXZ wheels being 12 mm?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tinken,

Thank you! I'll order 12mm YXZ wheel studs and press them into the Rhino hubs. Has anyone else done this? If so, is there any advice for me before proceeding?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
You might measure the hole in the hub to see if it will accept the 12mm studs, just a thought. I would think you would have no problem with the 10mm as the rim will center up anyway, only reason the 1000 has 12mm is the power it puts out. JMHO

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
YXZ Wheels & Tires on Rhino?

Any specific reason u want to use those wheels with all the options that r out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
You can pickup new take off for cheap, to bad RZR's aren't 4x110.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it.

The reason for looking to stock YXZ wheels and tires for the Rhino is that I have 'em! We went with 30" tires and 14x7 wheels on the YXZ, so I have an almost brand new set just waiting for a new life. The kids have an '07 Rhino, so I'd like to use them if I can.

I have considered just bolting them on the 10mm studs. I'm sure that Rhino Rat is correct in that they'd work, but it just doesn't seem "right" for me to do it that way. I'd hate for the kids to be driving and have a problem with wheel studs.

Today, I ordered one stock Rhino wheel stud and one stock YXZ wheel stud. Before I start beating on the Rhino with a BFH, I want to measure and be reasonably certain that they'll fit.

If anyone has any other thoughts on this endeavor, please throw them out there!

Thanks,
Brian

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Post up how it turns out with pics please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The two wheel studs arrived today. The knurl on the YXZ stud is .025" larger diameter than that of the Rhino stud's knurl. Do you all think that the hubs will need to be drilled, or is the difference so small that a little extra torque will be sufficient to pull them through?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
Sounds like a lot what if's, the only reason the YXZ has 12mm studs is the power difference from the rhino. Me I'd save 16x's what a stud cost bolt'em up and enjoy. JMHO

·
7,025 Posts
Bolt them up and re-torque them so often maybe?

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
You would have to remove a stud and measure the hole. A 0.025" press might be too much. I'd measure the difference between the stud size and the added size from the knurling. When you do press, add a liberal amount of Red loctite to the studs on the knurling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys, you convinced me that I was overthinking this. Bolted the YXZ wheels onto the stock Rhino wheels studs last night, and it looks like they'll be fine. In fact, the YXZ bolt holes are just a tiny bit larger that those of the STI wheels that were on the Rhino. A quick ride around the neighborhood suggested that acceleration was impacted more than I thought. We'll have to get the Rhino out to the desert to know for sure whether the 27s are keepers or not.

Sorry for the picture quality. The lighting was bad and it was late.

Thanks for all your input! Does anyone want to buy a bunch of 12mm YXZ wheel studs? :smile

Brian

Attachments

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
They look good, if you haven't slugged the wet clutch that may help. Would be interesting to see what a stock rear wheel wight is as to the rear YXZ.

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
A quick ride around the neighborhood suggested that acceleration was impacted more than I thought.
You loose 4% of your gearing per 1 inch you increase your tire diameter, plus weight. A Hunterworks machined sheave lowers your gearing ratio by 26%, reclaiming some lost torque.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts