Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys a question for everyone regarding the parking brake. As with most people I had an issue where it just wouldn’t work anymore. I went ahead and bought a new disk and pads and a bunch of parts to rebuild the caliber. Once I installed the new disk I started to bolt on the caliber. When the caliber is loose everything moves freely but when I tighten it the last couple turns it almost jams up and pulls against the disk. The piston side is disengaged it’s the pad that is stationary that presses against the disk. At full tighten you cant hand spin the wheels as it is locked in right. I installed it per the maintenance manual and everything. The weird thing is I looked at the old disc and it is in a slight cone shape. I’m just wondering if this was a design flaw and you have to cook the new disk until it goes into that cone shape to work but that doesn’t make sense. I’ll post a pic of the old disc to show you guys. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Rhino 700, Hunters Edition
13 Posts
Hi guys a question for everyone regarding the parking brake. As with most people I had an issue where it just wouldn’t work anymore. I went ahead and bought a new disk and pads and a bunch of parts to rebuild the caliber. Once I installed the new disk I started to bolt on the caliber. When the caliber is loose everything moves freely but when I tighten it the last couple turns it almost jams up and pulls against the disk. The piston side is disengaged it’s the pad that is stationary that presses against the disk. At full tighten you cant hand spin the wheels as it is locked in right. I installed it per the maintenance manual and everything. The weird thing is I looked at the old disc and it is in a slight cone shape. I’m just wondering if this was a design flaw and you have to cook the new disk until it goes into that cone shape to work but that doesn’t make sense. I’ll post a pic of the old disc to show you guys. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks!
Did you ever figure out what caused the problem and how did you keep it from happening again? I have the same problem and could use some advice. Thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
Did you ever figure out what caused the problem and how did you keep it from happening again? I have the same problem and could use some advice. Thanks
This is a new one to me. I've replaced my parking brake pads twice now in the 6 years I've owned it but never messed with the rotor plate. Is the thickness of the new rotor larger than the old one? something is just not making sense here - could it just be wrong rotor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is a new one to me. I've replaced my parking brake pads twice now in the 6 years I've owned it but never messed with the rotor plate. Is the thickness of the new rotor larger than the old one? something is just not making sense here - could it just be wrong rotor?
Thanks for your input, Sandbuster. In my case, it’s the stock disk that is bent in the cone like manner shown in the pic above. I’m starting to think the brake got hot due to it being too tight or debris filled and when engaging the brake against the overheated disc, it bent. The direction of force from the caliper is certainly compatible with this theory. I ordered a new disc, rebuilt the caliper, modified the caliper to open further, and replaced the pads. Hopefully I can reassemble it all this weekend to see if that corrects the problem. I will post the results. I would sure like to know what Jamie did back in 2019.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I replaced the parking brake disc this weekend without having to remove the axles. I was shocked to see how much the disc was bent into a cone shape. Sadly, I was unable to determine the cause. The up side is that the part was cheap and the brake now holds the parked Rhino in place even on steep hills. Oddly, the only reports of this problem on the forum were associated with 2009 models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts