Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set a Xentec HID's on my 06' Rhino and immediately noticed the supplied connector won't plug into my headlight harness. I cut off the harness plug and wired the GREEN wire to the positive on the Ballast and the YELLOW wire to the negative on the ballast. I did not hook up the BLACK (ground) wire and just wrapped it with electrical tape.

I turned on the lights and they just flicker on and off a few times and then turn off completely.

My questions are (1) am I wiring the ballast to the headlight harness the wrong way or (2) do I need to install a relay harness so I draw power from the battery? Anyone else experience any of these problems?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Mabey you got a bad ballest?? I no my rigid would not work if both ballest were not grounded. I have a high low kit and when i first put it on the high would not work. They sent me a new wiring harness and that fixed my problem. So a bad part is not out of the question. And i do not have any relays.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ballast is good. I hooked it up directly to the battery and no problem. Its only when I hook it to the headlight harness that it clicks on and off

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought the same kit for my 06. Noticed right away that the connector was wrong and would not "plug n Play". Wrote Xentec an email and told them I was not cutting my factory harness. They are sending me some kind of plug adapter...Still havn't got it yet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the same kit and could never get it to work thru the stock headlight harness. I don't think they supply enought power. I had to wire it direct to the battery and install another switch to the dash. I used bigger gauge wire and they fire every time nice and bright.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
YELLOW is hi beam power and black is ground use those, from rhino

use yellow and black from rhino to your new wires, rhino has to be running for both head lights to work , or they will flicker, rev the rhino up a lil when u turn them on , the lil rhino battery and stator barley hang for the first 15 seconds of getting the hids fired up, lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Benzo, that worked. Lights seem to be powering up just fine now. I'm still gonna attach a relay to them since I already ordered it. If anything it will help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any danger in wrapping both my high beam and low beam wires (GREEN and YELLOW) together and then connecting them to the HID? I would like the HID's to come on regardless of where the headlight switch is turned. As it is now, they will only come on when I switch to high beams. The low beam switch does nothing. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
not sure what would happen with both wires connected but yes if u use just yellow wire it will only come on thru hi beams , and if ur running the hids thru ur headlight wiring it already has a relay in it im pretty sure . i know its fussed and sum times with hid's u might need to change 10amp fuse to a 20

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
not sure what would happen with both wires connected but yes if u use just yellow wire it will only come on thru hi beams , and if ur running the hids thru ur headlight wiring it already has a relay in it im pretty sure . i know its fussed and sum times with hid's u might need to change 10amp fuse to a 20
It would work the way he wants if he connected both positive wires together then to the hot wire on the ballast. One or the other would be hot depending on what position the switch was in. Even if both wires were hot it would be the same as connecting two wires to the positive post of the battery and then both to ballast positive wire.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have exactly the same kit. I did not cut my OEM harnesss I wired the high beam( you can join them should not hurt anything) to a relay. my relay power comes from battery and I am grounded to chassis and battery. I sodered all power lines except my trigger for the relay wire to the high beams( in my case) which is a crimp on 3m connector.
I have t low beams going to a second relay and a set of Seizmik running lights with yellow HIDs I converted for low visibility like fog and snow. I converted my jstrong lights on roof(4) with 2 more Xentec kits for h3 bulbs. I am very happy with the xentec. I did find that if the number 2 battery that runs my fogs and roof lights is low it will cause the lights to flicker if I have them all on. Super kits for inexpensive price..
Oh BTW did I realized after I was finished that the connector that came from xentec was supposed to connect to the wire socket from the bottom of the bulb NOT the short white inline connector. It was my error but in the end it worked out. I also have an 06 SE and mounted my ballasts and relays on the bar up by the top of radiator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info....I just ordered two more sets of xantecs for my seizmik prerunner H3 lights. I am hoping the slim ballasts will fit inside the light housing that way I don't have them exposed on my light bar. The space behind the light housing is fairly big so I'm hoping it will work.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ryan, I cannot speak to the size of the prerunner lights. Not sure what mine are but I could not find a way to get the ballasts in. my siezmik lights are down front so it made it easy to mount the ballasts for them under hood.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I just installed my Seizmik prerunner lights and luckily the slim HID ballast and all the wiring fit completely in the rear of the light housing. Super clean look. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
xentec/ seizmik prerunner conversions

Can you post some pics of your lights? I am curious if I have the same lights.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
thanks Ryan. Those are much deeper than the lights I have.. not sure what mine are called.. they are just thinner..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts