Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a GPS to help me go off the trails and help me know about where I am.........also other features

which ones are good?

We mostly ride in WV in the Wagon Wheel area.......most of the time about 7 hours.

We sometimes are hesitant to go where we haven't because we need to get back that day............and don't like riding down a trail 2 hours and just turning around. I would like something to help me track where I went.....just incase it was 3 lefts and not 2 lefts..............and to help me find where I'm going.......to circle around.

thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check out my thread from a week ago on UTV underground. I got great feedback. The thread is called GPS/ NAVIGATION.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what that means.

Is UTV underground a section of this forum?

just give me the link. pretend I'm old

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's another forum. Google it. It's the best.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check out any of the models from Garmin. It is all we use at work and I have very good luck with their durability and ease of use. If you are looking for a basic unit check out the E-trex series. There are numerous mounts available to attach to your dash or whatever.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to both of you

I thought it might have been another forum...and that was why he didn't type it in....but at work we get alot of weird emails with vague links so I just wanted to see if he was man enough to respond back....I'll go look, but I'll look at that Garmin

We have Garmins and TomTom's in our vehicles.....I like the TomTom's more....but that's for roads.....thanks guys

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the Garmin nuvi 500 that came with preloaded topo maps already in it.Topo is not super detailed-but it is topo ready & if you are in the forest & the roads are forest service or any other marked off roads,it usually shows them.I have been happy with it & about half priced of the monster GPS systems.Bought a dash mount system that wires into your electrical system off ebay & mounted it on a plastic plate where the warning sticker is in the middle of the dash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks clward1

I'm looking at it now.

Saturday, Heather and I are buying a Donzi 152 jet boat....I'll looking at that Garmin now.....

Would it be good for water stuff as well?

Basically, I'm wanting something that tracks the path we went..........let's say we go 45miles in WV on those trails.....will the nuvi let you track a path with a line on a screen and let you "reverse" the route? etc?

thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the nuvi makes the etrex look like a little cell phone.....is it just me?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The nuvi 500 I have with the topo maps already in it is water resistant & I does track back,so you can find your way back.When ever I start from someplace new,I make a waypoint(Like where I parked my truck & trailer!)So I can go directly back -If thats shorter than tracking exactly back from where you were.I like to do a little GeoCash hunting with the Rhino & It is setup for that stuff also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the voyager in my rhino, love it! it does everything i need and alot more. When your done for the day, you can pop out the usb stick, plug it in to your pc and view your tracks on google maps...its awsome. They also have pre made maps for free on their site. Here is a pic of one of our races....

you can zoom in on the map(not this pic) and see every little minor turn you made. Here is one from the mountains.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Here is my $.02. Because I frequently travel to remote area, I use back up navigational systems.

If you travel in the back country, buy a compass and a topo map for the area. REI has classes on how to read topos and use a compass. This is your primary system.

The secondary system is a hand held GPS. Why hand held? If you decide to take a hike away from your Rhino (like nature walk, hunt, metal detect, drink beer, etc), you need to get back to your Rhino. So, before you leave the Rhino, you push the button on the GPS that makes the Rhino location a "waypoint" and then you label it Rhino. Bring spare batteries, the topo and the compass. Remember to have "breadcrumbing" on the GPS turned on.

The Third system is a dash mount GPS. Check out craiglist. I picked up used one for $150. The guy bought a Rhino with the GPS in the dash and had no use for it. He wanted to install a stereo where the GPS was mounted. Sweet deal.

I have one GPS backing up the other. So if one of the GPS units malfunctions (and it will) I still have the other GPS. And, the fall back is the map and compass.

If you cannot afford two GPS units, go with someone who also has a GPS. NEVER, NEVER use one GPS as your only navigational tool. It will fail and at the worst possible time.

Here are some features that you might want to consider:

1. Waterproof, for when it rains.
2. Shockproof for when you drop it on the rocks.
3. Mapping software. This allows you to map out your plan of travel, on your desk top (or lap top) computer and then down load it to your GPS. You then call up the route on your GPS and start driving.
4. Mounting bracket to dash mount GPS to Rhino. Garmin has an excellent one that is adjustable.
5. Carry spare batteries for the GPS, especially when you walk away from the Rhino.
6. Buy the 12 volt cigarette plug adaptor, for the GPS, and use it instead of the batteries, when you are driving.

I have a Garmin (about 6 years old) handheld and, a Lowrance Baja dash mount. These have been great units.

Lastly, if you drive to remote areas, bring a survival pack. Google "survival pack" to find out what should be in it.

Keep in mind that a five hour ride in a Rhino means that it will take you days to walk out. Will the temperature drop below freezing at night? Some of my friends have HAM radios in their off road vehicles because cell service is not always available in some remote areas. Be prepared and be safe.

Jim

·
Registered
731 Posts
i have the lowrance baja 540c with map create works great shows most of the trails
I think that is the unit that I have in my dash. I could use some help with this unit. I am a self admitted computer boob and, I have been struggling with their programming system.

Jim

714 821 5820

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So............I bought the Garmin Nuvi 500.

and an install kit which was probably a waste and came with a weird ball attachment.........which doesn't fit the Garmin......but what ever (odd part is I bought Garmin brand install kit)

I open it up, it's nice, turns on................cool. "vehicle, hiking, biking, scooter" modes. huh?

Where's the boating mode? I double check the box......yep, got the right one, on the box, the second photo is of boating mode.......ok

I ask Heather, she says "you are very cute and I checked online, you have to buy the boat app separate"
me "what?, it said in the description it had nautical maps"
"you have to pay for those, somewhere around $200"
"what? Heather, the box even shows it"
"Jason, I love your 18wheeler kit on your Chevy and I told you last night about it when you mentioned you bought it"
"no you didn't"
"yes I did, after telling you that you are muscular, I told you that"
"no you didn't"
"yes, sweetie, I did, I was watching my show Brother and Sisters and told you"
"I probably wasn't listening to you because of that show"

anyway (some of that was altered above), I do some working with it..........it seriously didn't have a boat app. What the hell is the difference between vehicle and scooter anyway? I was so angry I was thinking about finding Mr. Garmin, interlacing his fingers together, forcing his legs through the front of his now Uniarm, and forcing his finger church into his rectum............. thought about it, but decided to save some time

After alot of internet searching, I found a dude in CA that had the same problem.........and although not as angry as I, did some more searching and found a way around it.

Here's the link...............I did it and it works. What is so frustrating about the whole thing is like what he said...........you install his simple log onto the Garmin..........and it activates Boat mode..........that was on the Garmin the entire time with all the features that it advertised. All the nautical stuff was on it from the beginning.

Nuvi 500 Boat Mode Hack

P.S. the damn thing doesn't come with a computer cable.......nothing I had fit it......................then I found an old box in the wine cellar that was to an old piece of crap Garmin that we had.........it had a cable in it.......and I was able to connect mine to my computer.

Moral = Heather thinks I'm cute.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts