Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Winch in a bag anyone have one?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BeatBlackRhino 
#1 ·
I am looking for a winch that is not permanently mounted so I can pull my Rhino in any direction and also take when we go on my son-in-laws quad.

I was looking at the receiver mounted winches when I came upon this winch-in-a-bag from Superwinch:

Superwinch, LLC - Portable Winch * Winch In A Bag

It is rated for 2500 lbs (would add a snatch block which is lacking in the kit to double it to 5000 lbs) and sells for about $275 on ebay. They also have a 2000 lbs setup that sells for about $150.

Anyone have one or used one? Is Superwinch a good brand?

I am also looking for a good anchor that I can pound into the ground with a single jack in this land of few trees and rolly rocks. Saw a picture of one somewhere that was like a steel form stake with a large head for pounding and small concave shovel-like 2 or 3-inch blade welded to the backside for more resistance to being pulled out.

Thx, Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
It goes without saying, I am partial to a warn. That being said, that looks to be a pretty complete "bag of goodies". I personally know people running superwinches on trucks, one guy even has one on his car trailer...they seem to like them. My biggest question is, how much "big" mud do you ride in? Most times if you are stuck in mud to where you need to winch; one or both of the receivers are burried in the mud. So along with your bag of goods, you would undoubtabley need to carry a good shovel so you could even get to the receiver. You would also need to get extra plug-ins if you planned on using this on more than one vehicle...I personally think the plug w/the jumper cable ends would get too hot-not to mention would kinda be a little aggravating having to raise the hood to get to the battery. Like I said...looks to be a pretty compete kit (other than the snatch block like you said), if you don't do much deep mud...would probably work out fine for ya.

#3 ·
I like the design of that kit. I would make a lead coming out of the battery box and zip tie it underhood to make for easy electrical hookup.

#4 · (Edited)
I made a 2" receiver for the front of my Rhino, and mounted my Venom 4500lb winch on 2" square tubing with a hitch pin. I then ran two sets of winch electrical cables to the front and back of the Rhino so I can run the winch from either the front or back. When I'm not using it the winch stays in my mini Rhino tool box (like pick-up's use). That way if I go down a ditch blocking the front of the Rhino I can take it out of the tool box and pull myself out using the rear hitch and vice-versa. To use the winch on your son-in-law's quad you would need to get another relay box.

That "Winch in a Bag" is no big deal if you wanted to make your own, since 2500lb isn't much pulling power.

--Geoff
:azflag:

#6 ·
chuckar ...if you google winch anchor....you see lots of them like the pull-pal...ive looked at these before,,,,some form of this would be good for anyones toolbox

#7 ·
Thx everybody

Scott-
Good tip on the shovel. I have a small military issue folding one I carry now, which is great for taking a crap but not so much for digging out. Upon your suggestion I will borrow the short handled “full-size” one that sits in the corner of the garage and mount on my roof rack; just in case.

Also agree with Scott and Junkie on the hookup; if I get the super winch I will run a weather protected lead where I can get at it w/o having to screw with the hood-rack and hood to get at it.

As far as mud goes; I ride in Northern Nevada, which even tho being the most mountainous state in the lower 48, has less than 10-inches of rainfall so mud normally is not as much of a concern as it is to most of you.

Moto92-
Thx for the link to the “more power puller”. I saw one of those (or one very similar) when I was Elk hunting this year; although not in action. The 3-ton/6000# model (actually 1 ½ ton(3000# w/o snatch block) is very interesting, my concern is how much old-man power it would take to go any distance with it. Excessive manuel labor is something I am getting less and less fond of.

BBRhino- Good search string; I have to go back and look at a few more of the links it turned up after I put this post up. One thing I do not need to check again is the pull-pal tho……over $450 with shipping and bag for their “low” price model is a little much for me.

Off topic but my wife does not know how to pronucciate “winch”. When I said I was going to go check what the guys on the forum had to say about the Superwinch in a bag. She said “She must be”.:aargh4:

#8 ·
chukar...yeh i was looking at the pul-pal and others and yes way out of my price range too....i was wanting to look at the design and make my own better one and test

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.