Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bio desel was the big thing for big trucks....and now i'm reseching on making a still to make alcohol for alteritive fuel...what i have read...the motor has no emissions,runs cool, and has more power..thats what they run in indy cars...and at the race track theres a alcohol class...our gas here in seattle has 10% alcohol in it...and some say that is messing with the mall engines...like genny,lawn mowers and such...not sure what its doing to them....some stations sell gas with 85% but not close to me

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes, it will run on corn squeeze.

E85 is what kills small engines.

Distilling alcohol, for any reason, is illegal.

Good luck!

Rob

·
Registered
252 Posts
^^The reason its illegal is because the government has such an enormous amount of kickbacks from the oil companies, that if people started making their own alternative fuels and the oil companies went broke the government wouldn't be able to waste as much money, so in all reality yes an ATV, UTV, car, truck, etc would run on moonshine, and would actually run a lot better granted the vehicle didn't have any emissions crap on it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Once again the government somehow has their hands into the hybrid and electric technology so they're making a kickback by telling people to buy a hybrid or electric vehicle to "save the environment" when in reality all that electric and hybrid crap adds to the pollution down the road, what do you do with those dead battery packs 5 years later? They eventually make their way to a landfill and all the chemicals end up in the ground...not exactly environmentally friendly now is it.

DO NOT just start pouring beer into your rhino's fuel tank by all means that'll do more harm than ethanol in a short period of time. But yes, if you actually had a moonshine still and got the alcohol off it yes the rhino definitely would run on it, and would probably get better fuel economy and run better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you can get a permit to make your own ethanol. its perfectly legal to distill your own fuel with the permit. I have a permit and a still but have not tried to run straight ethanol in my rhino for fear of messing it up.
now would there be any rejetting or something that would have to be done for it to run properly.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes, jetting changes and a re work of your fuel system. Nothing big, but ethonal doesn't like certain materials. That's why E85 is hell on small gas engines.

Rob

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
......now would there be any rejetting or something that would have to be done for it to run properly.
Yes, major rejetting. The alcohol will have to be very near 100% water free (200 proof). The energy content is considerably lower than gasoline, so it takes a lot more alcohol per unit air. You will get lower fuel mileage (miles per gallon).

There are stories of gaskets and seals deteriorating, even with low alcohol mixtures. We get a 10% mix in the winter here in Oregon and my personal experience is that I get at least 10% lower fuel mileage. Obviously, it is not helping in the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions.

·
Registered
627 Posts
From what I read, you can distill your own stuff. And as long as you are not selling it, it is legal.

I make bio diesel. And can distill off the methanol. Havn't done it yet. But I was reading it was legal for personal use.

·
Registered
615 Posts
100% Moonshine would be comparable to using methanol, comparing this to gasoline, you would burn 230% more alcohol by volume then gasoline, E85 would be up there to but not as severe..........

We use Methanol in one of our MX quads, the engine runs cooler, it burns more fuel, has more bottom end power, and has a bit more power in the power band.............

·
Registered
615 Posts
Did you mod the quad at all to use the different fuel?
Changed the jetting and a bigger exhaust pipe. We had to install a fuel pump to get more fuel to the carb faster, and a bigger vent in the gas cap......................

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all good info...could a guy add a splash of lucas racing octane boster to the tank?...would that give the engine the octane its craving/missing?...i was told with fuel injection....it auto adjust?..mine is a 686 carb

·
Registered
615 Posts
all good info...could a guy add a splash of lucas racing octane boster to the tank?...would that give the engine the octane its craving/missing?...i was told with fuel injection....it auto adjust?..mine is a 686 carb
You must add an additive for upper cylinder lubrication, but you do not need to up the octane rating, I'm not sure if there is an octane rating for alcohol, but you can run some wild compression ratios.............

·
Registered
615 Posts
I forgot to mention that you need to advance the timing when burning alcohol compared to gasoline...........

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeh...I have made the comment on many posts when peaple are asking about power adders..."Start with your fuel" you can have the best of the best in any form of racing....and put bad gas in it...and well we know you will be loseing....near my house they have a dirt track for 360 and 410 sprint cars and "the world of outlaws"...they ( some ) get the racing gas from the cheveron bulk plant down the street...i have not checked for awile?...buts it was like 8-12 a gal...and not sure of octane but it was like 122 or somthing?.....and i love the lucas Racing octane booster...my corvette flys with a spash of that in the tank...and is a dog with just 87 in it

·
Registered
522 Posts
With alcohol you'll need a lot bigger jet and possibly more pump to get it there. Alcohol is rated near 120 octane so you'll need to be able to adjust the timing to take advantage of it. Basically, you just add timing until no additional power is produced and then back it off a bit. I've been thinking about distilling alcohol for fuel since we farm and I could use all the vegetable waste and clippings for the mash. My machine would use more fuel but who cares when the fuel is close to free?

·
Registered
11 Posts
no you cant make any ethenol for drinking at all. but if you have the permit you can make your own fuel. legally you cant make one drop of moonshine. the tax on legal liquor is $14.00 a gal. for anyone who wants to know.

·
Registered
615 Posts
no you cant make any ethenol for drinking at all. but if you have the permit you can make your own fuel. legally you cant make one drop of moonshine. the tax on legal liquor is $14.00 a gal. for anyone who wants to know.
That is in the US, I bet it is double that in Canada..............:13:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its all the craz right now...peaple making beer and wine...so why not the hard stuff...why is it iliegal?...the new show on tv american moonshiners is good.....i would only make beer...thats what i like drink....but i think the world as we know it will be ending soon?....and those that survive will half to be self sufient like the old days...caning food,drying smoking meat and so on...and making some fuel for my mad max rhino...just saying!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts