Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a deal on a 5' x 9' trailer and was wondering if it was long enough. I know 5' is just wide enough but wanted to make sure the length was OK. The trailer has fairly short sides (maybe a foot tall) with a fold-down gate. THANKS

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 5 foot wide trailer and it fits with some mods to the trailer. If the trailer is the type with the attached gate and the pins that hold it closed are near the bottom of the gate they reduce the width by about 2 inches or so. Made it really hard to load and unload as the pins in the locked open position still hit right at the tire sidewall. Front tires were no problem but if the Rhino is not straight going on one of the rears usually hit the pin. So I removed those pins and made two bars that attached to the frame and drilled holes in the gate to lock it in the up position.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
my buddy had a 5x8. it was just barely wide enough to fit in there, but he had to load it on backwards to make it fit the length. and with that the tires were still right at the rear of the trailer.
i guess with the 9' you would have enough extra room to be ok.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have put mine in my short bed F150 and i no the tailgate isent 3ft long so you will be good

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....I bought the trailer and surprisingly it didn't fit (length wise). It was VERY close....but I think the 28" tires was the deal-breaker (the drop-down gate hits the tailgate). However....I think I can cut the gate down (to just under the bed) and it will work. The only reason I'm going through all this trouble is because I need a trailer that will fit in my back yard and need to be able to tow it around with the Rhino. THANKS for all the input guys!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well....I bought the trailer and surprisingly it didn't fit (length wise). It was VERY close....but I think the 28" tires was the deal-breaker (the drop-down gate hits the tailgate). However....I think I can cut the gate down (to just under the bed) and it will work. The only reason I'm going through all this trouble is because I need a trailer that will fit in my back yard and need to be able to tow it around with the Rhino. THANKS for all the input guys!
Did you try backing it on as previously mentioned?

Brett

·
Registered
76 Posts
Instead of cutting the ramp down why don't you redesign the latch so the gate is not straight up and down?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a 5'x8' with 12'' high 2'' x2'' angle iron sides & slide out 4' ramps, on the front of my trailer we extended the front rail 8'' forward, even with my snow plow on it fits, we just raise the plow up over the front rail, make sure your axles & springs are strong enough for the weight you've got. my .02 worth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The trailer has a 3500lb axle.....it's actually a really nice trailer that seems very well built. Built strong but not so heavy that you can't move it around by hand. I thought about backing it in but I can see that being a pain in the future....you already have to be careful when pulling into it, due to the 5' width. We cut the gate down to 28" Saturday and it fits perfectly now. The shorter gate creates a pretty good incline but I barely notice it (the Rhino has a 3" lift and 28" tires).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts