Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on getting my secondary off in the CVT for 2 days. Impact gun, breaker bar, I have tried everything I know of and have had 2 other guys try to help too. I cannot get this thing off. Am I missing something or did this thing just get cranked down too tight the last time someone was in there?

Mike

·
Registered
815 Posts
somebody might have put red lock tite on it,u may have to apply a little heat to it,to get it to break loose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Using a quality name brand half inch drive or bigger impact wrench with plenty of air should do it.

Sent from my Standard Issue D2G

1,651 Posts
i had the same problem, tried it all, even 250psi from a nitrogen tank. finally I cut off the nut with a dremel. just take your time. my nut had fused to the metal on the fan somehow, no other explanation. I spent two weeks and 10 different guys, should have used the dremel, when my snap on impact with 200psi would not crack it

·
Registered
522 Posts
1/2 or 3/4 drive braker bar with a 5' piece of pipe should do it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Mine fused awell. I think that cutting it is what I need to do. I have to change the belt after the next trip. There is another tool called the nut splitter. Some guys here say that it woks.

nut splitter from Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Registered
815 Posts
nice,nut splitter!!!never seen one of those,great tip!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I just had a buddy bring over another compressor and 2 more impact guns. We tried heat and a 5 foot breaker bar - NOTHING. Oh well. I might see if I can go get one of those nut busters. I am almost inclined to leave it. I dont want to break anything.

Mike

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Will a nut splitter work on a nut with a flange on it? I changed my air hose to a larger one and got it to come off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1,651 Posts
after the **** sandwich I encountered, I put anti seize on the back of the flange where it meets the fan. we will see next time, but a buddy of mine is a top mechanic with suzuki and he uses anti seize on everything so I did the same. of course I followed the torque specs.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I just had a buddy bring over another compressor and 2 more impact guns. We tried heat and a 5 foot breaker bar - NOTHING. Oh well. I might see if I can go get one of those nut busters. I am almost inclined to leave it. I dont want to break anything.

Mike
Happened to me as well...ended up using the die-grinder w/a cut off wheel. When you get it off...you need to take the sencondary completely apart-clean it good-and regrease it...be sure to use yamalube !!

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I was able to finally get it off. :banana::banana:
Had to use an air chisel! I regreased everything and am putting it back together. Is it normal to have a little gap in between the nut and the secondary? (see picture) I assume it will be ok because everything is on a spline but wanted to check before I tighten it all up.

Now I just have to get my new JBS sheave on - Cant wait.

Disc brake Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Wheel

Mike

·
Registered
815 Posts
theres a washer that goes behind the nut,if its not in there,there will be problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.