Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up an 07 450 Rhino with 3900 miles on the engine a few weeks ago. After buying it i noticed a strong smell of oil in the fully enclosed cab. Never having something fully enclosed, i was thinking it may be for that reason.

Looked up issues with this machine, and found puking oil into the airbox was a big problem, so i pulled mine. The air filter was in horrible condition, and there was a layer of oil at the bottom. I thought maybe i was testing its limits too much, pushing it a lil hard. Added some oil, and started to watch it. The next ride was on roads, not a trail and probably averaged about 30mph on it. The engine started losing power and dying. Checked the oil and it had some in it, added more at that point. Started again to see what would happen, and it died quickly again.

I towed it home and after being confused a lot, I’m still confused. I went to pull the plug, the silver one with notches around it is the oil plug/strainer/pipe correct? But noticed this missing in front of it. Poured oil in while looking, and it pours straight out this hole. What is in front of the drain plug, and why does oil pour straight out of it? Are there 2 separate drains?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
The large plug with the notches(Top plug in photo) is your oil drain point for oil changes. It has a spring, strainer, and o-ring. Oil should be SAE 10W-40. Both the motor and transmission share the same oil. my 450 requires 2.75 Quarts with filter change.
The other plug i think drains the same oil, maybe used for engine rebuild or check for metal. This has a bolt and a copper washer and not used for routine oil changes. It should not leak. The oil in your air filter probably coming from valve cover where hose connects to the air cleaner. Maybe to much blow by from motor or overfill during oil changes, which will foul your plug. Might want to down load manual for your rhino if your new to this UTV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the response. I have downloaded a manual, and diagrams, just couldn’t seem to find this specific thing in them. Seems strange to have an alternate engine drain plug that they tell you not to use. Wish it wasn’t there, because it vibrating loose means i get to rebuild this engine i suppose. It was serviced right before i bought it, maybe they used this plug to drain and didn’t tighten it?

Do you have any good advice for rebuild kits, or good vendors to buy parts from?

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
124 Posts
Silly guess, sorry if I am wrong, I have the 06 660 Rhino. Any chance that might be a clutch side drain?

Here is an older post that sort of covers your question, sort of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate that reply. My dad is gonna help my tear into it, but got covid, so it’s on hold. Does the tranny use the same oil as the engine or something then? Haha, cuz when i pour oil into the crankcase, runs right onto the ground through that hole. Schematics are so bad on this model imo

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
124 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad, hopefully he recovers quick and fully. Your 450 does have a wet clutch, shared oil with the engine side, but I was thinking it may be like my old TT600.
It had a drain on the clutch side, so you'd get more old oil out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.