Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
686 will helpif you utilize the extra bore size by making the combustion chamber bigger and deshroud the valves...........

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here is my input on what little time I have on my 686 kit.

I am currently running everything else stock besides a dynatek CDI and machined sheeve. I upgraded to the Benchmark 686 kit(CP piston) and rejetted. Stock exhaust and stock intake. I am still on break in period, so I haven't spent much time in the upper RPM range but what I have noticed is more usable power. It feels like the motor pulls more throughout the entire RPM range whereas before it had good power in one spot and then sort of dropped off after that mid range.

I did all of the work myself and it really wasn't too bad. I had to replace my crankshaft as well at the time and went with the Crankworks pro rod kit. It appeared to be a quality rod and also has a brass bushing press fit in the small rod end to help prevent galling.

If you need any help PM me. I learned ALOT of things through trial and error, and will gladly pass them on to you.

·
Registered
654 Posts
686 really needs good cam and port and polish to make power.

Not a scientific test by any means, but when i first bought my rhino, I added Ron Wood exhaust, intake, cdi, and machined sheave. Not bad I thought... A good increase over stock. A long steep logging road still made it slow down, and flooring it let me climb at 35km/h.

Then i bought a 686 kit... 11-1 CP piston, and Webcam 736/737 grind. Now, the same hill didn't slow me down much, and could climb it around 40-45km/h.

I recently bought a ported and polished head w/+1 valves. After that install, I'm accelerating up that same hill the whole time! I cant floor it any more. :)

The port and polish really makes more difference than i would have thought. The total package I have installed now easily has doubled my horsepower from stock.

It IS worth it.. If you have the cash!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
686 really needs good cam and port and polish to make power.

Not a scientific test by any means, but when i first bought my rhino, I added Ron Wood exhaust, intake, cdi, and machined sheave. Not bad I thought... A good increase over stock. A long steep logging road still made it slow down, and flooring it let me climb at 35km/h.

Then i bought a 686 kit... 11-1 CP piston, and Webcam 736/737 grind. Now, the same hill didn't slow me down much, and could climb it around 40-45km/h.

I recently bought a ported and polished head w/+1 valves. After that install, I'm accelerating up that same hill the whole time! I cant floor it any more. :)

The port and polish really makes more difference than i would have thought. The total package I have installed now easily has doubled my horsepower from stock.

It IS worth it.. If you have the cash!
X2....

Once again the Canadian stikes first... :147:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.