Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding along probably 35 in my ('04 660) Rhino yesterday and it popped once or twice and was Dead. Got home and checked. No metal or pieces on plug, but i dropped the plug pullig it out so I don't know if gap was closed some by me or the motor. I have spark, fuel, all intake and all exhaust valves move and don't have slop. I can cover exhaust and it has gets pressure although I'm not sure how much cranking pressure it had before. Previous owner bored and valve job one year ago and it was running great with no signs of problems.... Any ideas I Sue Would Appreciate Hearing Them. Thanks and Happy Holiday!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
mine did the same thing after i installed some clear, larger diameter fuel lines and a brass tee. check to see if your fuel lines and plastic wye are stock or not. believe it or not, you can get too much fuel in the float bowl and flood the thing out even if you keep rechecking the float levels. i also experienced this when my coil went out. un screw the spark plug end from the wire and put a meter on it. put the positive lead where the orange wire goes and the negative on the ground on the opposite side of the coil, should read .18 to .28 ohms. same thing to the spark plug cap, 10k ohms. next the positive lead to where the orange wire on the coil and the negative to the end of the plug wire with the spark plug cap still off, should be between 6 and 9.5k ohms. this will tell you if the secondary broke off inside the coil (this happened to me). when my secondary broke i still had spark in the garage, but it would die probably from rattling around while i was driving. also check the key switch. mine shorted out while i was driving one time and killed the rhino, no back fire though. sorry for the ramble, just some of my experiences that may be possibilities.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the bigger fuel line off the side of the carb, spun it over really good and nothing. How do I check the pump. Does it run off the engine? Gave her a couple shots of ether and it didn't even hit....
Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
pump works off vaccume off the intake. unhook the line that goes from the intake to the fuel pump. crank it over and you should feel slight vaccume where the hose goes into the intake. unscrew the fuel pick up from the tank and see if the rubber pick up hose has a split in it or broken or came off. with the fuel pump unhooked from fuel supply, suck in the outlet side and let me know what it does. that will tell you if the fuel pump is shot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
it should of started by spraying a fuel source to carb even if fuels not getting to the carb from tank. that tells me fuel is not the issue. was the spark plug wet when you pulled it out? (from trying to start it)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled the hose from the fuel pump to the top of the intake off at the intake. Has slight pressure coming OUT of the intake, Not vacuum.
I gave it a shot of ether and got a loud back fire. Two different times. Enough of that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sounds like you need to check the valve lash, like the exh valves arn't opening. the fuel pump will not work if there is intake pressure, it works off vaccum. do you have a manual to walk you through checking the valve lash or do you need assistance?

·
Registered
67 Posts
int. .004-.006" and exh. 006-.008". another thing i thought of is you could have possibly jumped time, due to your backfire issue. you can tell this if your rolled to tdc and the timing marks don't line up, or if you have to roll before or pass the timing marks on the correct stroke to have both intake and exh valves loose (if their not stuck or bent or anything). good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked lash real quick and it seems to have a lot. Couldn't really tell if the spring was moving or if it was actual valve lash. The motor was rebuilt last summer with bore and valve job... Thanks Again for the input!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts