Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I'm not new to car repairs. I've done many a timing belt replacement. Replaced the timing chain on my 07 660. I got the engine at TDC, used the correct "I" mark, made sure the marks on the cam were lined up correctly. Turned the engine over a few times with a ratchet and socket, everything is good. Put the cam cover back on. Didn't install the cam chain tensioner until after installing the cam cover. Go to fire the thing up, cranks over a half revolution and "click", the engine locks up. Pulled the cam cover off, bent exhaust valve on drivers side. What happened?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Although no replies were received this thread had some views, so I am posting an update. Turns out the woodruff key on the crankshaft had broken/ sheared, so when I thought the piston was at TDC, it really wasn't. The broken woodruff key allowed the magneto pulley to rotate on the shaft, giving an incorrect indication of TDC. I was able to figure this out by comparing the movement of the piston to the TDC mark on the pulley.

Just putting this out there in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Thanks for the update. I could not come up with anything for your issue before and never considered a sheared woodruff key. Good to know for future needs. I hope you have it running now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts