Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the dealership here what's over 1200$ for a wet clutch kit. Does any know of aftermarket market ones that are a little cheaper but still worth installing

·
Registered
2008 700EF
27 Posts
I'm going through this on my 2008 700EFI. The stock wet clutch was shot when I bought the machine so I went and replaced it with an aftermarket wet clutch (retained the drum that was in there because I'm cheap). I have a stock machine, no mods. Since it was slipping right from the start I installed a slug kit in the aftermarket clutch. It didn't help and I burned up the wet cutch and cooked the drum in way under 100 miles. I looked around for an aftermarket wet clutch and drum and I couldn't find anything other than the wet clutch I bought from Amazon. I looked for an upgraded clutch, clutch eliminator, etc... Couldn't find anything to "upgrade" the wet clutch. So, I bought an OEM Yamaha wet clutch and drum from Partzilla. I haven't received it yet, but I'm sure it will work better than the aftermarket junk I bought before. That's my experience.
As an aside, I tried the aftermarket clutch because, it was cheap and I'm cheap. It isn't all that hard to replace the wet clutch, so I thought I'd take a chance. That chance didn't work out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm going through this on my 2008 700EFI. The stock wet clutch was shot when I bought the machine so I went and replaced it with an aftermarket wet clutch (retained the drum that was in there because I'm cheap). I have a stock machine, no mods. Since it was slipping right from the start I installed a slug kit in the aftermarket clutch. It didn't help and I burned up the wet cutch and cooked the drum in way under 100 miles. I looked around for an aftermarket wet clutch and drum and I couldn't find anything other than the wet clutch I bought from Amazon. I looked for an upgraded clutch, clutch eliminator, etc... Couldn't find anything to "upgrade" the wet clutch. So, I bought an OEM Yamaha wet clutch and drum from Partzilla. I haven't received it yet, but I'm sure it will work better than the aftermarket junk I bought before. That's my experience.
As an aside, I tried the aftermarket clutch because, it was cheap and I'm cheap. It isn't all that hard to replace the wet clutch, so I thought I'd take a chance. That chance didn't work out.
You are using wet clutch compatible oil, right?

·
Registered
2008 700EF
27 Posts
Yes, I pay the $7/quart for the "official" Yamaha oil. It's not an oil issue, it's a poorly made friction material on the aftermarket clutches. I'm not the first to complain about them, that's why I'm going back to OEM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make sure you change you oil, As all that burnt up clutch material is mixed in your oil. When it comes to the Yamaha clutches OEM is the way to go. It may be expensive but look how long the original clutch lasted.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Make sure you change you oil, As all that burnt up clutch material is mixed in your oil. When it comes to the Yamaha clutches OEM is the way to go. It may be expensive but look how long the original clutch lasted.
Yes,read many stories of the cheap clutch shoes coming apart and plugging up the oil passages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts