Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new to me '07 Rhino 660 and after driving around on the property one day I saw steam coming from the exhaust and overheat light came on.! Read about head gaskets & top end and dove in to replace head gasket. Pretty straight forward , but then I saw RTV when I took the covers off. What blew me away was when I started to take the head off and someone used ARP type studs/nuts. The external ones came off okay, but I went to take one of the intake side side nuts off and I thought "thats strange it's a different size" because the socket was just spinning. NOPE! it wasn't even finger tight and spun right off. So that's why the head gasket leaked. Worse yet, I grabbed a deep 12 point to take one of the exhaust side nuts off and the socket was spinning again! What the hell? I grabbed the flashlight and was horrified to see no nut, just the stud..... Not sitting anwhere that I can see. SO , is there any access to the crankcase without pulling the engine and splitting the case? Magnet down the timing chain side and tilt the whole machine? Any ideas out there?

Also, I'm familiar with Yamaha outboards and it seems that all the outboard castings have the Yamaha logo on them, but I didnt see any when I looked at the head and the cylinder. Just wondering if there were after market parts installed.

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
118 Posts
Welcome, sorry I don't get online too often.
You might pick up one of those video insepection cameras (Harborfreight or...) and just
see if it's still in the top end or not.
When my 350 warrior lost power a few years back, I was able to see a rocker arm jam nut in
the chain gallery. It was pinned against the side with a bunch of broken chain bunch up on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts