Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...5 months ago I complained about my 450 throwing clutches...I said I was considering buying a Hyosung 500 Ranch Pony instead but I was chastised by all...soooooo....we bought a 2008 Rhino 700 in Oregon because it was at the closest dealer to the dunes when our freshly repaired 450 blew it again. Soooo...we live in Redding where the sun always seems to shine and the heat generated by the 700 is SO oppressive my wife will not ride in it because the heat generated up from the dog house even makes the seat belt locks too hot to handle. I would think it was just ours but our friend also has a 700...same heat problems. Soooo...we are in our 60's...and frankly just dont care if we can squeeze another 4 mph out of the Rhinos's....we just want to be able to trail ride and deer hunt without cooking our arms and hips. Surely, someone has found a way to handle this. Our friend has thermal lined his engine cover (much to the chagrin of the Yamaha dealer who said the reflected heat might hurt the electronics) and has cut a 'vent hole' into the bed to try to route some of the heat out there...still miserable. I will sell this unit to the highest bidder if someone cannot tell me away to cut the heat so my wife will play!
Greg and Connie

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 08 rhino as well and I don't find it too bad. There is some heat but it is only bad if running very slow. The way I found to remove the heat when traveling very slow is to open my folding window and all is good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a folding window...we are open except for the half windshield and the top.
Maybe the 102 degree weather here in Redding has an affect? Never noticed the problem with the 450....anyone want to trade?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
:hat1:
I don't have a folding window...we are open except for the half windshield and the top.
Maybe the 102 degree weather here in Redding has an affect? Never noticed the problem with the 450....anyone want to trade?
Ill trade ya my 660!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...but..

I know it sounds bizarre...but I will be willing to trade for a late model, low hours 450...call me crazy but the engine heat is much more important than the horsepower.
I am afraid the 660 is not an option.
Greg

·
Registered
561 Posts
This may sound dumb, but i have been thinking about cutting two fans in the front angles of the doghouse down low and installing little 3" reversable fans in there, winter time to suck the heat off the motor and into the cab, and in the summer try to force the heat out of the doghouse. My 700 does put of some heat, but i take my full windshield off in the summer and put the half one on and raise it up about 3", i dont notice the heat after that.

·
Banned
833 Posts
Tregaskis .... how about installing a big radiator & a fan override switch .... be a little more $$$ but less than the hit you'll take on trading & it should bring the temp way down.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
it sounds like the heat coming up from the seats............. pm sent

·
Registered
395 Posts
heat or hot air?

this is just my 2cents..as i read with my coffee....this yamaha design does make heat...and at lower speeds is componded...sounds like how these nice folks like to drive....but the statement..its 102* in redding?.....if i park my rhino in the driveway and it has not moved been drivin...and its 100* out side...the seats will burn you..the dog house will burn your arm if you sat it on there....my camaro with black interior would do that on a summer day....but two really good tips i read hear....i took off my doghouse and unsulated it...for sound deadning...should help...the other tip on seats....i also covered the top opening for gas tank and drivers seat to prevent noise from flowing up under seats...or heat in your case....the other great tip is the fan...buy a reversable fan..and mount on the flat under the shifter...in summer run it to blow air across engine and out the back...and as stated in winter when hunting...you have heat...moms happy...because if she ain't happy?...no ones happy!

·
Registered
687 Posts
this is just my 2cents..as i read with my coffee....this yamaha design does make heat...and at lower speeds is componded...sounds like how these nice folks like to drive....but the statement..its 102* in redding?.....if i park my rhino in the driveway and it has not moved been drivin...and its 100* out side...the seats will burn you..the dog house will burn your arm if you sat it on there....my camaro with black interior would do that on a summer day....but two really good tips i read hear....i took off my doghouse and unsulated it...for sound deadning...should help...the other tip on seats....i also covered the top opening for gas tank and drivers seat to prevent noise from flowing up under seats...or heat in your case....the other great tip is the fan...buy a reversable fan..and mount on the flat under the shifter...in summer run it to blow air across engine and out the back...and as stated in winter when hunting...you have heat...moms happy...because if she ain't happy?...no ones happy!
I insulated mine more for sound deadening, but it did cut some heat out as well. Perhaps that and adding a small fan to help push the heat out would solve your issue. Also to hit on the out side temps... I live and ride in the desert and can second that if I let it sit in the sun for a while everything is smoking hot. Another thought, and this may sound nuts, but what color was your 450 (seats too)' and what color is your new 700?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Also hitting on WV point, does the 700 have a fan shroud? I think his idea of using the radiator to keep the engine cooler may also be very effective. If you are going low speeds not much air is going through the radiator, so the engine will heat up more and radiate more heat into the engine compartment. So anything you can do to bring engine coolant temps down will also bring down the engine housing temps.

·
Registered
395 Posts
x2x

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm in Az, have the 660, and the summer rides do get hot when just putting slow,
my .02 & in agreement of what others have said
the fan over ride switch did help with the engine heat at slower speeds. my temp sensor is in the head (ultimate rhino's adapter) and the gauge will drop down to 140 or less.
I have aftermarket seats (black) but with the lowered seat bases with that big hole in them, they don't hold the heat in as much.
Last, I have a White powder coated aluminum top on my cage, My buddies all have black, I CAN touch my top in the heat of the day & it is actually cool where as there black tops will burn your hands,
my .02

(wish I had a 450 to trade)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm in Az, have the 660, and the summer rides do get hot when just putting slow,
my .02
the fan over ride switch did help with the engine heat at slower speeds. my temp sensor is in the head (ultimate rhino's adapter) and the gauge will drop down to 140 or less.
I have aftermarket seats (black) but with the lowered seat bases with that big hole in them, they don't hold the heat in as much.
Last, I have a White powder coated aluminum top on my cage, My buddies all have black, I CAN touch my top in the heat of the day & it is actually cool where as there black tops will burn your hands,
my .02

(wish I had a 450 to trade)
x2 the overide fan switch will solve ur problem. i put one in because of my wife. all she would do is cruise around and it would get hot, put the switch in no more heating up.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
sorry guys.. I was reading this thread and my sick sense of humor I really wanted to say.. Hey just roll down the windows.. Sorry.. I have an 06 660 and yes in the summer I get some heat but it is not terrible. I leave the windshield down and in the heat of winter I take off the door skins and leave the frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2011 Rhino 700 and even in northern Maine the heat coming off the engine was awful. My right leg was getting cooked this summer. We were running a factory roof and two piece tilting windshield. I tried different things with the windshield and finally took it completely off. That made all the difference in the world for us. Of course 80-85 degrees is a hot day up here. The cool weather is here now and I have the windshield back on along with a rear enclosure. Now we are glad we have all that heat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts