Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my repaired case at the middle drive gear for my Rhino. You can see the before and after pictures. It is not perfect, but it gets the job done. I did have to do a good bit of grinding due to the tolerance of the middle drive gear.

I also added a Benchmark 686 kit that went on flawlessly.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
how did your welds hold up did you preheat the case if so what temp

·
Registered
286 Posts
There u go Joe same break and he fixed his

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
119 Posts
taylor thats what im thinking who do you think could do it around here

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nicky Young across from the watering hole

·
Registered
119 Posts
thats what i was thinking ill take it up there now

·
Registered
286 Posts

Herds a couple pics of Joes

·
Registered
119 Posts
dam thing chewed up my brand new midgear set

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

not to rain on your parade but you missed the most important part about welding the middle drive my friend, you should have done more research before you turned off your tig machine........all you did was fix it back to stock, so hopefully you had proper penetration and a lack of porosity, but even if you did its only as good as the stock middle drive tower was originally as you didn't tie it into the side or the bottom of the case, all you did was repair it and not improve its integrity and strength...cross your fingers, but you should have done a heck of alot more work to make it a stronger structure..I've welded a bunch of these cases and when you're in there to do the welding alot more fabrication work should be done to make it 3 times stronger,not just back to stock, then the middle drive interferance fit on the billet plate should be remachined back into the case to make an oem style snap fit into the towers so you don't have gear shift or movement which will cause another failure...my two cents

1,651 Posts
not to rain on your parade but you missed the most important part about welding the middle drive my friend, you should have done more research before you turned off your tig machine........all you did was fix it back to stock, so hopefully you had proper penetration and a lack of porosity, but even if you did its only as good as the stock middle drive tower was originally as you didn't tie it into the side or the bottom of the case, all you did was repair it and not improve its integrity and strength...cross your fingers, but you should have done a heck of alot more work to make it a stronger structure..I've welded a bunch of these cases and when you're in there to do the welding alot more fabrication work should be done to make it 3 times stronger,not just back to stock, then the middle drive interferance fit on the billet plate has to be remachined back into the case as the welding pulls the tower away from the other tower which in turn allows too much play and will prematurely cause another failure...
Cam, I think you did...lol...I'm sad reading it...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.