Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 rhino 660 special edition that recently started overheating. Motor is hot and temp light comes on but radiator is cool to touch, took off water pump and it looked pristine, put back on without cover and cranked motor with everything turning like it should. It seems to me that if motor is hot but radiator is cool then waterpump not circulating water. But inside the pump looks great, and everything moves like it is supposed to (not chain or shaft problem) then why? I am confused. Have built lots and lots of air cooled engines and V-8 big pony motors but this is fairly new to me and I am puzzled
Please help

·
Registered
602 Posts
Assuming the machine isn’t covered in mud-fan issue or faulty temp light -These engines will over heat,one if engine cooling system has air in it,if system is contaminated or has corrosion build up, water impeller damaged making cavitation leaking or impeller not spinning -the main reason blown head gasket. Rev the engine, look down fill neck on the radiator it should be Circulating through the radiator core. Top off and ck for any bubbling -if so head gasket most likely failed-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming the machine isn’t covered in mud-fan issue or faulty temp light -These engines will over heat,one if engine cooling system has air in it,if system is contaminated or has corrosion build up, water impeller damaged making cavitation leaking or impeller not spinning -the main reason blown head gasket. Rev the engine, look down fill neck on the radiator it should be Circulating through the radiator core. Top off and ck for any bubbling -if so head gasket most likely failed-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's my question. Water pump is perfect but not circulating any water that I can tell

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like a thermostat has failed closed, but I understand the 660 didn't have one although it looks like there is a housing for one. Maybe one has been added in the past.

·
Registered
602 Posts
OEM pump with metal cover gasket? You have to lower the coolant level below three or 4 rows (radiator core veins)to see circulation. Really basic system..cir-pump/vent hose or radiator -head gasket slows the flow on the coolant side. Best of luck on your repair!!!

Reactions: Bwhntr4168

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do I called a local shop and they say it is probably a radiator cap issue? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
602 Posts
What is the Temp of your engine in degrees? Use, barrow or buy a infrared thermometer gun, get it to temp or when light pops on. Test the water return neck top of head. Like 205 plus overheat- maybe sender/wire issue if your lucky...

·
Registered
06 Rhino 660
2 Posts
I’d check all of the cooling system hoses. I know there are some that can rub and get holes. Maybe a slow leak and filling with air? Possible that one got kinked and isn’t able to allow enough flow to cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 rhino 660 special edition that recently started overheating. Motor is hot and temp light comes on but radiator is cool to touch, took off water pump and it looked pristine, put back on without cover and cranked motor with everything turning like it should. It seems to me that if motor is hot but radiator is cool then waterpump not circulating water. But inside the pump looks great, and everything moves like it is supposed to (not chain or shaft problem) then why? I am confused. Have built lots and lots of air cooled engines and V-8 big pony motors but this is fairly new to me and I am puzzled
Please help
Hey I have a 06 660 mine overheated , Is your electric fan kicking on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a Infrared thermometer that's when I found out that the motor was about 2:25 to 50 and the radiator was only 86゚ that's why I thought it was a water pump problem but then I took the water pump apart and it was spotless put it back together and it seems to be pumping now
I was told that it was possibly a head gasket so I called a local shop and they syud that it was most likely a radiator cap which I find hard to believe but I ordered one anyway just to see
I have checked all the hoses and cannot find any leak at all I burped the system again and will give it a try as soon as I get the new radiator cap

·
Registered
2 Posts
I chased the same issue for 12 months. I just had my engine rebuilt and then I had an over heating issue, which did not happen previous to rebuilt. Two shops later and a lot of headaches and This is more than likely your culprit
GEAR, PUMP DRIVEN
5GH-13325-00-00

The gear when originally equipped was ALL nylon, now the new ones have a metal insert.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I chased the same issue for 12 months. I just had my engine rebuilt and then I had an over heating issue, which did not happen previous to rebuilt. Two shops later and a lot of headaches and This is more than likely your culprit
GEAR, PUMP DRIVEN
5GH-13325-00-00

The gear when originally equipped was ALL nylon, now the new ones have a metal insert.
It was nylon? ....That gear also spins your oil pump-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts