Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend I went out to Glamis and tried out the rhino for the first time there. It held up pretty damn good for not running paddles(although I don't think I'll be going out there until I get some). I could tell that it still had power, just wouldn't get any grip. I attempted to go up the easy side of Oldsmobile and failed (4 160+lbs guys) but got pretty close. Saturday afternoon I took a ride from Wash 10(camp) to the Gecko drags, through the dunes. The rhino rode the bowls by the Osbourne Lookout pretty good with the exception of one that I couldn't transfer out of.

Long story short, I was impressed with the power of the rhino out at Glamis. Definitely will have to invest in some paddles and possibly a sheave and spring kit.
Here's a duning video. watch in 720p for best quality
(video doesn't start until 2:45)

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
don't wait, get paddles! get skat trak 7 paddle...those with my JBS sheave and paddles I could anywhere I wanted this last trip, my two other buddies with no paddles were not so lucky lol.

nice vid, can't wait for dec trip!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

with the right mods you can hang with the quads, driver ability is 80% of it in my opinion.....engine work and paddles and suspension, soo many people talk crap on the rhino now with the rzrs taking over, I guess us rhino owners are considered "Old school", well I guess we have to show them new school folks that the old school still works..My buddy who owned 2 teryx's talked all kinds of smack on the rhino until we took him to the dunes and he played tail end charley the whole time trying to keep up with our rhinos...once we stopped he finally omitted he had no idea, and that he'd never driven soo fast before, it was kinda funny, and we all were stock travel cars too....good times at the dunes....cameron...

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Nice. Didn't look like it did too bad with a stock motor and no paddles. I was surprised, even in the big dunes and how soft the sand was on Halloween weekend.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
with the right mods you can hang with the quads, driver ability is 80% of it in my opinion.....engine work and paddles and suspension, soo many people talk crap on the rhino now with the rzrs taking over, I guess us rhino owners are considered "Old school", well I guess we have to show them new school folks that the old school still works..My buddy who owned 2 teryx's talked all kinds of smack on the rhino until we took him to the dunes and he played tail end charley the whole time trying to keep up with our rhinos...once we stopped he finally omitted he had no idea, and that he'd never driven soo fast before, it was kinda funny, and we all were stock travel cars too....good times at the dunes....cameron...
Yup, at dumont i dropped in behind a few RZR "s" and XP`s...i hung with them no problem. On the flats they smoke me but thats not duning lol

I also beat a teryx up banshee hill lol 3/4 of the way up he turned out...haha

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Nice video Sal. Paddles vs knobblies is a day and night difference! How much PSI were you running on the dirt tires?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the replies guys.
im saving up right now for paddles and a sheave so hopefully by december ill be set. btw is it difficult to install??

and you guys are totally right about driver ability. i like to think that i'm a good driver and i think that's why i kept up with them so good in the bigger dunes. i saw 3 rhinos on their sides out in the dunes over the weekend. stupid people that didnt know how to transfer dunes.

dan, i dont remember exactly what psi i was running, but it was pretty low.

all in all, i was very impressed with the rhino. its true that we are considered "old school" but ehh i like it.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE:
i met up with an old buddy at the dunes and he mentioned removing the stock swaybar. He claimed to have gotten much better handling. I was just wondering if I should bother. I've got offset wheels, stock suspension, and it's a 4-seater.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
I lie it better without the sway bar, little different feeling at first, by susp works much better.

the sheave is easy to install, and we are local and can help.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
im saving up right now for paddles and a sheave so hopefully by december ill be set. btw is it difficult to install??

and you guys are totally right about driver ability. i like to think that i'm a good driver and i think that's why i kept up with them so good in the bigger dunes. i saw 3 rhinos on their sides out in the dunes over the weekend. stupid people that didnt know how to transfer dunes.

all in all, i was very impressed with the rhino. its true that we are considered "old school" but ehh i like it.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE:
i met up with an old buddy at the dunes and he mentioned removing the stock swaybar. He claimed to have gotten much better handling. I was just wondering if I should bother. I've got offset wheels, stock suspension, and it's a 4-seater.
My first tyme out to Glamis with the rhino I ran my knobbies all around and then got paddles and smoothies on my last trip and it differently help tremendously in the sand! I was really impressed how great the smoothies worked - they help handle better. A sheave would also help your bottom end out!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE:
My first tyme out to Glamis with the rhino I ran my knobbies all around and then got paddles and smoothies on my last trip and it differently help tremendously in the sand! I was really impressed how great the smoothies worked - they help handle better. A sheave would also help your bottom end out!
yea with knobbies it felt like it was almost running hot. i kept up with my buddies 900 xp, but he wasn't going all out. hopefully the rhino will come together in the next couple of months. im thinking about going to the dunes in december(and a lot more since i got the annual pass this year), so we'll see.

how'd your yfz do out in the dunes??i took my ltr out but that motor gave all it could. it ran hot, spewed out oil into the airbox and is just missing a lot of power. i'm taking it in this weekend to get a big bore kit:banana:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lie it better without the sway bar, little different feeling at first, by susp works much better.

thanks for the offer. you guys planning any rides up to JV anytime soon? I'd also like to take the rhino out to silverwood/cleghorn ridge once it snows. I've seen some pretty badass videos of people up there with their rhinos

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE:
yea with knobbies it felt like it was almost running hot. i kept up with my buddies 900 xp, but he wasn't going all out. hopefully the rhino will come together in the next couple of months. im thinking about going to the dunes in december(and a lot more since i got the annual pass this year), so we'll see.

how'd your yfz do out in the dunes??i took my ltr out but that motor gave all it could. it ran hot, spewed out oil into the airbox and is just missing a lot of power. i'm taking it in this weekend to get a big bore kit:banana:
We got a guys trip going on the 2nd week of december. You should roll thru.
My quad did great - its the drive (me) who didn't do so good. LOL Haven't ridden it in about 3 years and I am not use to handle bars shaking and a thumb throttle! One big dune ride was all I could do! LOL
Damn - that sucks about your LTR. Those are some good bikes! Not as good as a yami thou! LOL JK. Sounds like you are gonna have to projects going on! Nice!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

thanks for the offer. you guys planning any rides up to JV anytime soon? I'd also like to take the rhino out to silverwood/cleghorn ridge once it snows. I've seen some pretty badass videos of people up there with their rhinos
Ive never been to SW when it snow. IDK if I would like it. I hate cold weather.
We might be doing a day ride out in Stoddard Wells? You've ever been there? Good spot to ride. Outlet is just north and Slash X is just east of there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My quad did great - its the drive (me) who didn't do so good. LOL Haven't ridden it in about 3 years and I am not use to handle bars shaking and a thumb throttle! One big dune ride was all I could do! LOL
Damn - that sucks about your LTR. Those are some good bikes! Not as good as a yami thou! LOL JK. Sounds like you are gonna have to projects going on! Nice!
2nd weekend? maybe if i'm done with finals by then, not sure if i might have one saturday :frown:
dude don't get me wrong, the bike is awesome, but I bought it used to replace my trx that got stolen and the previous owner didnt take very good care of it, but i got it for a steal! i was thinking about selling it, but now im just going to build it up.
here's at dumont

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Ive never been to SW when it snow. IDK if I would like it. I hate cold weather.
We might be doing a day ride out in Stoddard Wells? You've ever been there? Good spot to ride. Outlet is just north and Slash X is just east of there.
no i've never been out there. i went out to dale evans a couple of years ago though. as long as there aren't too many woops....stock suspension kills haha

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
2nd weekend? maybe if i'm done with finals by then, not sure if i might have one saturday :frown:
dude don't get me wrong, the bike is awesome, but I bought it used to replace my trx that got stolen and the previous owner didnt take very good care of it, but i got it for a steal! i was thinking about selling it, but now im just going to build it up.
here's at dumont
Nice video man!
That sucks about having finals around that weekend.
The LTR is a good bike to replace a TRX. My cus all have TRxs and I am the only YFZ so we didnt get along to well! LOL Thats sucks you got your old bike stolen. Where did they take it from?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts