Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Friends,

Recently purchased an 04' Rhino as a 65th birthday toy to myself.And I have been trying to locate the 'official' skinny on the rules/regs on public
road use since.The local PD and state PD info gotten so far has been
somewhat comflicting (and confusing).And the only o/line info found from
the WV DMV appears to only address atv's.

Does anyone know if there is/are any WV State sites where I can retrieve this info specifically on UTV'S can/cannot use on public roadways??
Aprreciate any/all related info...
Thanks/Regards Peter Union WV

p.s. I've heard road use with 45* diagonal road crossing ok/road use limited to 10 miles etc etc etc..no use on a divided (lined roadways).but back roads non painted center line ok???

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hey Pete....welcome to the forum ! I do not have a "for-sure" answer to you question...I can tell you that a Kanawha Co. Deputy told me that were not any specific laws on utvs ; and, none of the atv laws pertained to the utvs. He basically said , if you were not being stupid-and obeying the traffic laws (think speed limit, seat belt, insurance), most officers woulnd not bother you. Keep in mind, respect, and courtesy will go a long way...there is a deputy that lives two houses down from me (not the one I talked to about the laws)...I always drive by his place like I have some "sense" ; and, he always throws his hand up whenever he is outside. Some counties allow atvs on unmarked secondary roads...yours may be one...if so, you would be all right. Good luck !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Scott,

Firstly thanks v/much for your response and info.Seems like both the local Sheriff and
WV State PD pretty much folllow the same UTV 'guideline's'.I personally am friendly with the Monroe County Sheriff (I am a retired NYCPD detective) and he has basically told me the same...in short ....a lot of courtesy and common sense goes a lone way.

Many thanks for your insight and info.
Regards Pete

·
Registered
118 Posts
i'v ridin all over town at pinical creek and up to the next town to use the power washer and all around indian ridge and to town and passed a cop and no trouble, the camp ground people said its ok if no lines on the road or its approved by the town

·
Registered
70 Posts
The main thing to remember in WV is each county has been able to make their own laws on ohv(meaning atv's ,utv's or anything else not meant for highways). Use common sense and talk to your local officers. And as stated above common sense and respect will keep you out of trouble most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts