Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have decided not to sell my Rhino and buy other garbage, I'm keeping the money pit. However, I believe I should take it apart and replace the middle drive gear support as well as the one-way bearing. It has over 6500 miles on it. It does burn a bit of oil and from reading on here, a new oil pump would be a wise decision. I think some will tell me I should replace the piston and rings; I need to know where is a fair place to get the piston and rings. I am not looking for extreme performance, we just do regular trail driving.

I will also install the rear diff bracket, since my frame has already cracked the 2 ears and rewelded in the past. I'm also putting in an electric fuel pump.

Anything else that is reasonable to replace?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think you are on the right track with the middle drive gear. If you plan on splitting the cases there is no reason not to install it. There is always the question of wether to 686 or not. I believe that a 686 can be just as reliable as stock if setup correctly. The additional tq and hp are always nice. If by chance your crank needs a freshining I would recommend rebuilding it with a HD rod. I will say be cautious with electric fuel pumps as I have seen many fail. If you do plan to use one make sure that it is not a magnetic pump like a Facet as they fail most commonly in off0road environments. A better oprion would be the Mikuni Hi flow upgrade that we and many others offer. Let me know if you would like me to make you an estimate for the standard parts needed to do a rebuild.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unless there's damage, i probably won't change the rod. I won't go to 686 either, I just don't have the funds. But I do want to make sure its reliable. Do you have the piston and rings. BTW I'll proabably get the pump you offer.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If your gonna put the diff brace on i would highly recomend you put a better rod in while you are in there or you will end up like me with the rod sticking out of the back of the motor! Keep the stock pump if your stayin stock and put the money in the rod.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are connecting rods of one brand compatible with pistons of another? for example, if I want a Wiseco rod and a proX piston, will everything fit no problem as long as I get the standard size (replacements)? Any bearings in there that I should worry about?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I highly recommend a Carrillo rod...

Use with any piston...

You cannot replace the rod yourself...

I highly recommend you send it to CrankWorks in Tempe, AZ

·
Registered
521 Posts
When I broke my middle gear , I had a complete overhaul back to stock, no 686. Upgraded the middle gear, fresh hone, new gears, new bearings throughout. While your in there, you might as well do it all right?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would suggest going over all the bearings and replace anything that's bad or iffy. also replace both timing chains if you do any crankwork (recomended) have it pined and or welded. With your intended use I wouldn't do a 686 I, would however bore it 1'st oversize to be sure it's round and true and install a 10:1 or 10 1/2:1 piston so you can be flexible on using regular gas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts