Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
another draw back with the front diff in the back... the cv joints are a lot smaller and weaker, but since it won't be locked as much, it will put less stress on them. Maybe you can stick in a rear diff from the new polaris rangers. they have a selectable rear diff..
Yeah my dad has a 2010 800 XP....that thing will turn circles inside the circle my Rhino will turn....and it steers soo easy...its a super nice machine with lots of power stock as well.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I agree, is the front that much smaller or weaker than the rear?
I used to swap the front and rear diff 3rd members in my old toyota when one broke, isn't this the same concept?
no, you are changing the whole housing, not just the r&P.

maybe you will hear this IT will turn the wrong direction!
I get what your saying, even if you mount it up, it would cause the wheels to turn away from each other.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Whats the cost to race prep a front diff? Custom axles should be easy to have made. I am sure one of the guys at UTVcrap could fab up a bracket for the front diff.

On another note I am not getting why it matters if it is reversed or not. It should be all the same.

I see used front diffs on here for $400 Whats a new one cost from Yamaha?

Thanks
Ralph
It would be running on the back side of the gear.....probably wouldnt last very long like that

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree, is the front that much smaller or weaker than the rear?
I used to swap the front and rear diff 3rd members in my old toyota when one broke, isn't this the same concept?

Not if you could mount it with the ring gear on the opposite side of the drive shaft, but It wouldn,t last anyway as the thrust in the case would not be in the intended direction most of the time.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The front diff is straight cut gears. not sure why it would turn the wrong way? unless the gears in the rear are cut difrently and cause the ring gear rotates the opposite.

I'm thinking it would be doable with a locking hub like a front wheels on old school 4wd.
It would require some machining splining and broaching. once it was set up it wouldn't be hard to make. a short run or one off would be unreasonable though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I might be over thinking this but if you mount the front diff in the rear, but upside down wouldn't it be turning the correct direction?????........

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Ohhhh, my poor eyes ! All you need to do to make it rotate in the forward direction is to turn the differential upside down as compared to the front. The Rhino uses the same front and rear drive boxes as the Grizzly. The Rhino's engine is in backwards compared to the Grizzly. They fixed the reverse rotation problem by inverting the gearboxes on the Rhino... Now you can quit shouting :34:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ohhhh, my poor eyes ! All you need to do to make it rotate in the forward direction is to turn the differential upside down as compared to the front. The Rhino uses the same front and rear drive boxes as the Grizzly. The Rhino's engine is in backwards compared to the Grizzly. They fixed the reverse rotation problem by inverting the gearboxes on the Rhino... Now you can quit shouting :34:
then tip your rhino upside down to drain the diff? :dance:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Guys, look how manny front diff cases are toast because of the bolts backing out of the ring gear and chewed a hole.
well, then it's EZ, new grizz cases and mount it in the back of the rhino.
Then were back to how well the front diff will holdup to the stress, safty wire or welding the bolts just adresses one problem, what about gear or case breakage ?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just make wider turns on the lawn... As far as pavement goes.. I throw away all of my tires because of punctures long before they wear out.. Money would be better spent on the power steering mod...

·
Registered
300 Posts
then tip your rhino upside down to drain the diff? :dance:
Only you would need to do that........

·
Registered
300 Posts
Guys, look how manny front diff cases are toast because of the bolts backing out of the ring gear and chewed a hole.
well, then it's EZ, new grizz cases and mount it in the back of the rhino.
Then were back to how well the front diff will holdup to the stress, safty wire or welding the bolts just adresses one problem, what about gear or case breakage ?
If this guy is worried about tearing up his lawn, I think his last problem is going to be destroying the cases because of high speed or high horsepower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You may run into gear wear issues...If you run the front diff backwards, you will be using the coast side of the ring and pinion teeth and not the drive side. This may cause accelerated wear as it was not designed for continuous loads on the coast side of the gear pattern. It may not be as severe as a full size vehicle would be due to the weight difference but it is something to consider. If you figured out a way to run a front diff upside down it may work but you would have to vent it differently and determine if the internal gear lube splash design would lubricate the gears properly. I come from the automotive industry and have seen many truck rear diffs damaged from running aftermarket diff covers that don't splash the gear lube properly inside the case. May not be as severe in the small Rhino diffs but still something to consider.

·
Registered
89 Posts
what if you were to mount the front diff with the input shaft at the back then use 2 sprockets and a small chain so you can run the drive shaft over the diff and turn the upper sprocket. it will take some work but at least there will be no issues with the diff turning backwards or be upside down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I want to unlock my rear end because I use it alot on asphalt and my yard. Plus it's like turning a bus!

Warn makes this little device for the wolverine to make it able to be 2wd. Seems like if you could have a custom axle made with this in the center and a longer cable it would be the ticket.

Install for it is here Warn 424 Unlocker

If you rigged that to one of your axles it might work just long enough until that axle makes one revolution and pull the cable straight through your dash... you're much better off trying to rig a different differential
mrmojorisan, Why do you think it would pull the cable straight through your dash? The whole housing for this unlocker doesnt turn, the shafts turn. The housing is fixed by a bracket.

cpu77, I say give it a try, the concept is simple. What have you got to loose? You could be the hero of the day if it works and might pocket some change selling a kit. go for it!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
the bracket would have to be mounted to the a-arm, and float, since the axle doesn't stay in the exact same position throughout the travel.. it could be done.. but probably not worth the effort.. plus, your rhino would be 1 wheel drive on the rear, so when you hit the gas only one tire is putting down power, so its going to pull real bad. with an open diff, they still both see power, so it works a lot better and doesn't pull...

Again.. it would work, but too many negatives to be a good solution.

G-

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
the bracket would have to be mounted to the a-arm, and float, since the axle doesn't stay in the exact same position throughout the travel.. it could be done.. but probably not worth the effort.. plus, your rhino would be 1 wheel drive on the rear, so when you hit the gas only one tire is putting down power, so its going to pull real bad. with an open diff, they still both see power, so it works a lot better and doesn't pull...

Again.. it would work, but too many negatives to be a good solution.

G-
Oh yes does it pull bad, almost put me into the wall at Perris.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts