Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 700 with about 6500 miles on it and I have to replace the front passenger side bearings at least twice a year. Yet I haven't had to replace any other bearings since I purchased it new. Could there be something else worn out causing this?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would check the spindle bore to make sure it is in alignment on each side of the collar and make sure the collar is at a consistent concentric location and at proper depth. You may need to get a machine shop to do that for you in a lathe of something. And you would have to buy a new one to compare or use the left side as a model. When the bearings are bottomed out upon install they need to be perfectly parallel and spaced apart. As well as the correct distance for the axle length.(Assumed you do have a collar insert in that spindle also if not that could do it). I would also look critically at the A-Arms to make sure that they are not bent but if it was radically bent enough to be causing this I am sure you could easily see it. Same with front alignment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that out JimClem. There always seems to be a small amount of slack even after everything is tight.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Should never be any slack when new in my experience. If you left out the spacer collar I doubt that you would have slack but the bearing should probably be rough and binding after you put 255 pounds of torque squeezing the two inner bearing races together. But it would get slack real quick after that. But you need to check the thickness of the spacer collar to make sure it is within spec--or just buy a new one. If that did not solve get a new spindle....even though pretty pricey.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spacer is in between the bearings but whether it's worn or not I don't know. I'll open it and check when I replace the bearings.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Might be the problem

Sounds like it's side loading the the wheel bearings when you tighten the large retaining nut. Hard to prove this with cv assy turning the diff. Also if the spacer is loose between the inner bearing races after pressed in the spindle .. That isn't good either. I had to make a spacer .014 over. If you do this on the bench, put the assy together, torque the nut ...those bearings should turn as if the nut were finger tight....us a old outer cv speeds things up....Not a quick fix but it solved the problem ..Use ONLY factory bearing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts