Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked on this forum & others & have got so so many mixed opinions. (welcome to the internet.. right?)

I have an 06 660 rhino, 3" highlifter lift, 27" mudlights, Gorilla axles.

I twisted the right rear in half on a rocky trail in WV. yanked the axle out & limped it around the rest of the day & ended up breakin the front left in the same place!!

Both twisted in two, inside the boot on the diff side. Boots were intact & not leaking before the axles breaking. The CV alxes stayed & the axles just twisted in two.

Im looking for replacement options. No B.S. He said She said. I have heard good and bad about: OEM(150$), Rhino brand(200$), ADR(119$), Gorilla(375$), Ebay(119$) etc..

If you have actually ran any of these for a good while (not installed last week) let me know. I cant afford Gorillas right now.

Sorry to be long winded. Just trying to cover the bases.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's crazy. I busted two CV joints this week end lol. Going to replace all 4 axles when I can afford to do so. 3 are the original 04 axles and one is I don't know what year. Bigger axle nut than the rest. I myself was thinking of trying the hunterworks axle's . They are going for $125.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered 2 from Hunterworks & I'm gonna run some limiting straps also. We'll see how that goes. I'll give it a try for125 each.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you will have to tell me what you think of the hunterworks axles, i am going to buy some as well. Now i have a oil leak that i have to fix as well on rear output shaft...

·
Vendor
3,514 Posts
The axles we carry are as good as it gets for OEM equivalent axles go. We don't have issues with quality at all.

The issues are big tires, lift kits, bad driving habits etc.

So in my way of thinking, if you don't want the "HD" axles and you know you are rough on them, then buy these as there is no better than these for what they are.

We never mislead anyone on this. I would prefer to sell them to all stock vehicle people who feed cows etc!! LOL

When I break a axle in my rhino or XP 900 I promise you one of these is going in and I race my XP every now and then.

On that note, I never broke axle racing, throttle control is key

Todd

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was looking at your site and it said no bigger than 27's the rhino I have I bought used so it might have had issues I didn't know of... Its all new to me but I don't mind wrenching on things, and the rhino seems pretty simple to work on.

·
Vendor
3,514 Posts
Was looking at your site and it said no bigger than 27's the rhino I have I bought used so it might have had issues I didn't know of... Its all new to me but I don't mind wrenching on things, and the rhino seems pretty simple to work on.
Hardly no one buys them with warranty, tires larger than 27" voids warranty as does engine mods and lift kits. This is the reason we offer them lower priced with no warranty

I have people with 30" tires buy them all the time, good quality and price is surely right so they don't mind buying one every now and then.

Todd

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't have a lift kit but I am running 27"and the engine is a 720 Stroker camed clutched and pipped, but I would rather not brake expensive parts lol. Thank you for the info and sorry for hijacking this thread a little...

·
Vendor
3,514 Posts
I don't have a lift kit but I am running 27"and the engine is a 720 Stroker camed clutched and pipped, but I would rather not brake expensive parts lol. Thank you for the info and sorry for hijacking this thread a little...

Unless you are buying a heavy duty axle then the brand we sell can't be beat by quality or price by any brand.

So in my opinion, a HD expensive axle that can break other expensive parts or this one we sell.

Todd

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would rather brake a cheaper axle than an expensive part for sure. Now the million dollar question. . What would it cost me for four axles shipped to Alberta Canada?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Vendor
3,514 Posts
I would rather brake a cheaper axle than an expensive part for sure. Now the million dollar question. . What would it cost me for four axles shipped to Alberta Canada?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4 Beta
About a million dollars!!!

I think a pair is around $130 via usps expedite. Parcel post is cheaper but they lose too much stuff.

We would be taking $40 off the price of four and then charge you whatever the shipping is. The $10 is the amount I have figured in for shipping in the lower 48 states.

Todd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the axles from hunter works in; got the rear diff leak stopped; installed limit chains on the rear; and dropped the lift down from 3" to 2" all the way around to lessen the CV axle angle.

I have only tested it in a few trails close to the house so far. I'll let you guys know what else flys apart. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just installed a 2" lift and 26" tires. First ride yesterday I twisted the rr. Boot looked fine until I got back. Do I need extended axles?

·
Registered
704 Posts
What I don't understand is how in the hell are yall breaking axles???? What are yall doing to the rhino to do that? Jumping? dounuts? Smashing Trees????

I mean seriously....... I have 29.5 Terminators, Stage 2 cam, 2" lift with sport shocks turned up and Rhino Brand axles in the rear, stock axles up front with a Rear Diff support and I have never broke an axle.... maybe you need to curb your driving habbits instead of complaining about axles....

And the only reason I have the Rhinos in the rear is cause I changed them for a little added insurance, but I can put the stocks in and I know they will be good to go

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I don't understand is how in the hell are yall breaking axles???? What are yall doing to the rhino to do that? Jumping? dounuts? Smashing Trees????

I mean seriously....... I have 29.5 Terminators, Stage 2 cam, 2" lift with sport shocks turned up and Rhino Brand axles in the rear, stock axles up front with a Rear Diff support and I have never broke an axle.... maybe you need to curb your driving habbits instead of complaining about axles....

And the only reason I have the Rhinos in the rear is cause I changed them for a little added insurance, but I can put the stocks in and I know they will be good to go
I dont know if you're trolling or what...
after lots of looking and research this is a pretty common problem. I had never broken an axle in anything ever. Then i broke 2 in one day! I was not running it hard, just got in a bind and it twisted and broke.
I believe the front was a direct result of breaking the back and continuing to ride.

I think my problem was my steep cv angle. Topping out the suspension and binding the cv,and something has to give.

Dropping the lift down to 2" and the limit chains seem to help my binding. Hopefuly no more breaking.

·
Registered
704 Posts
As long as you keep your axle angle under 30* there not in a bin against the cv's. if your over 30* your backs will hit the frame rail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My CVS will bind before the axles hit the frame rail. This went unnoticed until I had problems. If mine make it close to the frame rail the CVS wont even rotate.
Thats why I went with the limit chains.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Exactly

1 - 20 of 23 Posts