Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the deal. Made the mistake of trying to turbo my rhino, but the damn thing is impossible to tune and unreliable. I studded the head, bored 686 9:1 or 9.5:1 compression piston, and not sure what cam i used, upgraded cooling system, running fcr carb, and dragonfire snowmobile clutch. I'm taking the turbo off and going to tear into the top end to change the piston and/or cam. I'm sure the topic has been discussed much but i dont have the time to search the threads. What kind of piston and what ratio on pump gas would be reliable yet give the power i want? and what exhaust should i pair it with?
thanks, chris

·
Administrator
2,255 Posts
Sorry to hear of your setback Chris ....seems the majority of Rhino engines that perform well are built NA designs, and not turbo or supercharged ...

And a heads up, you may be having a few peeps recommending a Rotax swap for your Rhino ....

sent from my broken Droid

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ok so here's the deal. Made the mistake of trying to turbo my rhino, but the damn thing is impossible to tune and unreliable. I studded the head, bored 686 9:1 or 9.5:1 compression piston, and not sure what cam i used, upgraded cooling system, running fcr carb, and dragonfire snowmobile clutch. I'm taking the turbo off and going to tear into the top end to change the piston and/or cam. I'm sure the topic has been discussed much but i dont have the time to search the threads. What kind of piston and what ratio on pump gas would be reliable yet give the power i want? and what exhaust should i pair it with?
thanks, chris
It is a mistake to put a turbo on a carbed 1 cyl motor...

Infinitely easier to do with fuel injection...

Are you going to remove the turbo...???

If so... you can go with 11:1 piston... a ported head with +1 valves and a big cam...

AZCourt just sold a motor that THE ONE put in his rhino and it dynoed at 56 rwhp... I believe that was a benchmark 693 ported with +1 valves ...

Not sure what carb is on it...

If you are going to keep the turbo you probably want to go to 8:1 on the piston...use race gas...with stock head and cam...and get an a/f gauge if you don't already have one..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You need an 11:1 CP piston kit with our DLC piston pin upgrade. For exhaust, I recommend either a Ron Woods Racing or the Muzzys. Both are great overall, there are pluses and minuses for each. We sell all of this stuff obviously, give us a call at the shop. 760-484-0986.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting away from turbos, too much hassle.

I have read different things on the cp 11.1 Some say use race gas, some say pump gas is ok. what is the overall verdict?

I have the head ported, what cam and valve setup would give me the best preformance/reliability with the cp piston?

Also any recommendations on a cdi? It is a 2006 rhino

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Benchmark did my work and I've been running an 11:1 piston for a year now without any problems on pump gas.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I'm getting away from turbos, too much hassle.

I have read different things on the cp 11.1 Some say use race gas, some say pump gas is ok. what is the overall verdict?

I have the head ported, what cam and valve setup would give me the best preformance/reliability with the cp piston?

Also any recommendations on a cdi? It is a 2006 rhino
Cam depends on how you use the Rhino. If you call us to discuss it, we can advise you.
For the CDI, a standard Dynatek is all you need. You might even find a used one. We just sold a used Dynatek yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.