Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha Rhino 700 Sport Edition
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Newbie to Rhinos but not to 4x4’s. Question for everyone. What kind of tool kit do you keep in your Rhino? I used to do some adventure biking with my buds and we all started out on KLR650’s. We all carried a standard tool kit with your common wrenches, tire irons, mechanics wire, pliers, electrical tape, sockets, etc.

So being new to Rhinos what are the “essential tools” (besides winch recovery items) that you guys carry? Are there specific sizes wrenches and sockets that are common to Rhinos? What’s in your tool kit?

·
Registered
763 Posts
The tool list will likely vary from one to another along with the type of riding you do. I limit my tools to what I can fix on the "trail" such as:
1. Jack
2. Tire/wheel removal & repair kit
3. 12 air compressor with battery start ability
4. Effective hammer
5. Wiring repair tools including test light
6 Flashlight
7.Tools to remove battery
8. Tow rope (for you or someone else)

Other "essentials"

Bug spray
Sun block
Dude wipes
Water/snacks
Phone
Walkie-talkie
Whistle
Air horn

No doubt I've overlooked something important but there's lots of smart folks on here who will have more to contribute. Good luck and welcome to this forum!

Oh yeah - beautiful rig you have!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tool list will likely vary from one to another along with the type of riding you do. I limit my tools to what I can fix on the "trail" such as:
1. Jack
2. Tire/wheel removal & repair kit
3. 12 air compressor with battery start ability
4. Effective hammer
5. Wiring repair tools including test light
6 Flashlight
7.Tools to remove battery
8. Tow rope (for you or someone else)

Other "essentials"

Bug spray
Sun block
Dude wipes
Water/snacks
Phone
Walkie-talkie
Whistle
Air horn

No doubt I've overlooked something important but there's lots of smart folks on here who will have more to contribute. Good luck and welcome to this forum!

Oh yeah - beautiful rig you have!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd take a run at changing the belt since you're new to rhinos. Those tools & skills, including the bolt needed to compress the sheave, is really the only rhino specific field operation you'll encounter. Other than that, it's just the basic 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17mm tools, spark plug socket, zip ties, bailing wire, tow strap & tire plugs for me. If you put a new belt on, keep the old one as a spare

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd take a run at changing the belt since you're new to rhinos. Those tools & skills, including the bolt needed to compress the sheave, is really the only rhino specific field operation you'll encounter. Other than that, it's just the basic 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17mm tools, spark plug socket, zip ties, bailing wire, tow strap & tire plugs for me. If you put a new belt on, keep the old one as a spare

View attachment 65012
thanks. I might have to look into that cuz I don’t seem to be getting the same top speeds as others are posting here. I haven’t had a long enough straight stretch to really punch it but from a few short bursts i have done I’m not sure it would get up to 50 mph.

·
Registered
219 Posts
thanks. I might have to look into that cuz I don’t seem to be getting the same top speeds as others are posting here. I haven’t had a long enough straight stretch to really punch it but from a few short bursts i have done I’m not sure it would get up to 50 mph.
There is some extra weight with those tires, long travel & cage....but yeah, definitely check out the clutch system. You can remove the plastic housing, start it, then rev it up and watch to see if the belt is traveling to the top of the sheaves. If it is, then great. If not, time for service. Lots of time dirt will combine with the sheave grease and get crusty over time....which prevents the full range of motion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is some extra weight with those tires, long travel & cage....but yeah, definitely check out the clutch system. You can remove the plastic housing, start it, then rev it up and watch to see if the belt is traveling to the top of the sheaves. If it is, then great. If not, time for service. Lots of time dirt will combine with the sheave grease and get crusty over time....which prevents the full range of motion.
Ah thanks. Will check that out. I’m not going to be using it for racing or speed but it would be nice every now and then. Will mostly be used for hunting and rock climbing/4x4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.