Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly new to Rhino's here. Been reading a lot about different rim and tire combinations and wanted to get some thoughts from the experts.

I've got an '06 660 SE with stock rims and stock Maxxis tires, 25x10x12 all around (I purchased this used and I'm not sure why I don't have 25x8x12s on the front). 1.5" wheel spacers all around as well.

Question 1: Any issues with my current setup?
Question 2: I'm thinking about swapping the wheels spacers and going with 2" on the back and 1" on the front.

Sometime in the not-too-distant future I'll be needing new tires, and will most likely go with the Bighorns on the stock rims I already have. When the time comes I'm considering one of these configurations - any suggestions or preferences?

- 25/8/12 front with 1" spacers + 25/10/12 rear with 2" spacers
- 25/9/12 all around with 1" spacers in the front and 2" spacers in the rear
- 25/10/12 all around with 1" spacers in the front and 2" spacers in the rear

I could also good go back to the 1.5" spacers all around with any of these configurations.

The vast majority of my riding is on mountain trails in AZ with a little bit of street riding as well. I'll rock crawl on occassion but only when I have to. Stability is my #1 goal. I doubt that my Rhino will ever see the dunes.

I appreciate the advice - there's a lot I don't totally understand about sizes, offsets, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OG offsets

AZwildcat,
I am guessing that you have the five spoke aluminum wheels, the original off set is 5+1 in the front and 5+2 in the rear, I had driven a few rhinos prior to buying wheels and tires and I must say that wider is better (to a certain extent), the set up I went with was a 2+5 off set all the way around 25x8x12 bighorns in the front and 25x10x12 bighorns in the rear, tires are your preference but this wheel set up makes the rhino 6" wider overall and what a huge difference over stock, you also don't have to worry about the spacers coming loose. Hopefully you can get some additional feed back from the senior members and if this offset sounds like something you would be interested in I just recently put Long Travel on my Rhino and am in need of switching back to the stock off set. I have 6 douglas rokstar wheels all 2+5 offset 2 have some good scratches but the other 4 are in good shape, I would be interested in a trade if you have the aluminum SE wheels.
PM me if you are interested. Thanks, DCIA

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AZwildcat,
I am guessing that you have the five spoke aluminum wheels, the original off set is 5+1 in the front and 5+2 in the rear, I had driven a few rhinos prior to buying wheels and tires and I must say that wider is better (to a certain extent), the set up I went with was a 2+5 off set all the way around 25x8x12 bighorns in the front and 25x10x12 bighorns in the rear, tires are your preference but this wheel set up makes the rhino 6" wider overall and what a huge difference over stock, you also don't have to worry about the spacers coming loose. Hopefully you can get some additional feed back from the senior members and if this offset sounds like something you would be interested in I just recently put Long Travel on my Rhino and am in need of switching back to the stock off set. I have 6 douglas rokstar wheels all 2+5 offset 2 have some good scratches but the other 4 are in good shape, I would be interested in a trade if you have the aluminum SE wheels.
PM me if you are interested. Thanks, DCIA
Thanks DCIA, I appreciate it! I'll get my head around all of this and think about it.

How do I know, from looking at the wheel, what the offset is?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Off sets

AZWILDCAT,
The first number is the distance from the inside lip of the wheel to the center of the wheel and the second number is the distance from the outside lip of the wheel to the center for instance 5+2 means that 5 inches of the wheel thickness is off center to the inside 2+5 means that only 2 inches of the wheel is off set to the inside this makes the stance wider and also gives your wheels a deep dish appearance. the two numbers added together (2+5) make up the overall width of the rim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts