Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Well, going back to my crawler days I usually ran 5psi or less with a bead locked 40 inch tire. The lower the preasure the wider your foot print, good for sand and rocks. Low preasure also acts like more suspention. Picture a low presure tire wraping around a rock/bump and then a higher presure tire just rolling over it. The problem is without bead locks, sidewall presure will break a bead. That's a bad thing at speed.

My Rhino had 10 psi from te dealer, I'll try out 7 today and see if it makes a differance in ride and handling

just my $.02 worth

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I normally ride at 7-8 psi in the desert and 3-4psi in the sand.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
fergie80 said:
I normally ride at 7-8 psi in the desert and 3-4psi in the sand.
This is why I think I need beadlocks. :D

·
Registered
997 Posts
Maybe I need to lower my pressure down a lil anyway, and try it, but I do have beadlocks but they are 14's. I want to use 12" to race, and OMF is 3 weeks back on locking wheels at the moment, so I'll have to wait, but for now I'll have to take my chances with regular wheels.

·
Site Founder
7,894 Posts
Re: beadlocks

jusduneit said:
Has anyone ever seen or had a wheel un-bead with low pressure?? with just "normal" desert riding!!! i think most tires are rated at like 7-12 max air??
I have run my stockers down to two psi, and had no problem other than bending the wheel due to the tire beings so soft.......

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Stock size ITP Terra Cross (6 ply) .....

In the sand - I run the fronts at 4psi and the rears at 6psi .... I like a little rear tire spin to keep up the revs on the underpowered motor ..... any lower on the rears and it seems to grab a little to much and bog the motor....

In the dirt - I run the fronts at 10 and the rears at 12 ...... any lower than this and it had to much tire roll ...... it also depends on your driving style. I dont like tire roll..... I like to slide the rear end around corners...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.