Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone talks about tire pressure in the sand dunes but what about driving on the street and in the desert. i have 27 mud lights no long travel

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I think ITP says 12 PSI for those on the side by sides........I run 12 on the road and 6 in the sand.

·
Registered
997 Posts
What pressure do you guys think would be good for an MX track for some Terracrosses with or withou beadlocks??? I've been running up to 15psi, but not sure if I should be more or less.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Well, going back to my crawler days I usually ran 5psi or less with a bead locked 40 inch tire. The lower the preasure the wider your foot print, good for sand and rocks. Low preasure also acts like more suspention. Picture a low presure tire wraping around a rock/bump and then a higher presure tire just rolling over it. The problem is without bead locks, sidewall presure will break a bead. That's a bad thing at speed.

My Rhino had 10 psi from te dealer, I'll try out 7 today and see if it makes a differance in ride and handling

just my $.02 worth

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I normally ride at 7-8 psi in the desert and 3-4psi in the sand.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
fergie80 said:
I normally ride at 7-8 psi in the desert and 3-4psi in the sand.
This is why I think I need beadlocks. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
beadlocks

Has anyone ever seen or had a wheel un-bead with low pressure?? with just "normal" desert riding!!! i think most tires are rated at like 7-12 max air??

·
Registered
997 Posts
Maybe I need to lower my pressure down a lil anyway, and try it, but I do have beadlocks but they are 14's. I want to use 12" to race, and OMF is 3 weeks back on locking wheels at the moment, so I'll have to wait, but for now I'll have to take my chances with regular wheels.

·
Site Founder
7,894 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i ran 12 psi this weekend in the desert and it seemed perfect, thats with 27" mud lite and itps 7. thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Stock size ITP Terra Cross (6 ply) .....

In the sand - I run the fronts at 4psi and the rears at 6psi .... I like a little rear tire spin to keep up the revs on the underpowered motor ..... any lower on the rears and it seems to grab a little to much and bog the motor....

In the dirt - I run the fronts at 10 and the rears at 12 ...... any lower than this and it had to much tire roll ...... it also depends on your driving style. I dont like tire roll..... I like to slide the rear end around corners...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts