Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
A high-lift jack works great for breaking the bead and a cool trick from the Jeep world, If you have problems getting the bead to set use a ratchet strap around the tire and ratchet it down until the tire squats then add air.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When positioning a paddle tire on a rim always line up a paddle with the valve stem so the paddles line up when placed on the rhino. I would also recommend removing the core of the valve stem when airing up the tire so that when the bead seats you can let it off and the excess pressure bleeds off quickly. This is the part that is dangerous and you hear of tires exploding from excess pressure and guys getting hurt or killed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When positioning a paddle tire on a rim always line up a paddle with the valve stem so the paddles line up when placed on the rhino.
I always index my paddles when I install them on my YFZ. After a couple hours of riding they are no longer aligned. The spin on the wheel from the torque.

I wouldn't imagine it would be as big of a deal on a Rhino, but I'm sure some guys are running enough power to have this problem.

I don't even bother anymore. They're gonna move either way.

Buck

·
Registered
240 Posts
it is way harder then you are saying. the easiest way is with beadlocks and a c02 powertank!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have had tires changed twice at two different Discount tire locations ... for free. May have just caught the right guy at the right time both times, but I say give them a try or pay Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am mounting some Swamp Lites on factory alloy rims with the HF tire changer. The front tires have super narrow beads that I could not get to seat. I tried ether but the crap they sell at WalMart is so weak it will not explode! So after some lightweight testing I found my acetelyne torch makes a nice subsitute, 2-3 seconds of pure acetelyne into the tire, then light the torch and put it near the rim-- a big pop and they are seated. Not recommended for the timid.

·
Registered
197 Posts
to mount a tire on a rim

Get something like Simple Green or a solution of it in a spray bottle.

Then get your tire and spray it all around the edges of the bead of the tire you are going to mount.

Spray the liquid also on the edges of the rim.

Then get your tire and place it over the wheel that is on the floor.

Start by forcing one side of the tires to wrap around part of the wheel.

Have more spray handy to keep the bead area slick so you can slide the other part of the tire that hasnt yet slipped over the lip of the wheel. This part is the hardest part and takes a little bit of maneuvering to get the tire over the top lip of the wheel.

Once the bead of the tire that is facing the ground has made it past the top lip of the wheel you repeat the same steps as mentioned above with the bead that is facing you.

When both beads are inside the wheel, make sure your tire is centered within the wheel, then get your air hose and fill it up. Also, after filling the tire, be sure to bounce it a few times in case the bead is slightly off or not completely seated.

Did that make sense?

Dismounting a tire is harder.
Thanks for the info, but easier said than done. F-it, I'm going to wally world!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well now I have to say F! Wally World. I only had two tires in so I got bored and wanted to get them mounted. The freakin retards at Walmart gouged, scratched, tore the hell out of my new wheels. Hole crap was I pissed.

So I had to fill out a claim form and am waiting to hear from them tomorrow. So the lesson here is, only get your tires mounted at Walmart if you know they will not jack them up. Otherwise just pay the money to the properly trained tech and get it done right the first time. I need this like a hole in the head, :banghead:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went to Harbor Freight and bought the tire changer/bead breaker tool they've got.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I use it whenever I need to change my quad tires, rhino tires, hell even my car tires! The only thing I did to modify mine was to bolt it to a 3 ft. piece of reciever stock so I can anchor it to the back of my truck via my hitch.

The only downside is that I am now considered the neighborhood tire buster for all the quads around. All I charge is a beer.
Do you have a picture of what you made to hook up to your trailer hitch?

·
Registered
32 Posts
you can break the bead on a wheel with a jack that has an sharp edge on it i use a handy man jack just lay the tire under your bumper or something heavy and take the core out of the vavle stem and put the jack right at the edge of the rim it will push the tire down

·
Registered
492 Posts
I Have always done my own tires sometimes it sucks but, it's done right. I just changed tires on both of our Rhinos first one took about 15 min last one 6min.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts