Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Im gonna take the plunge and do my 2nd battery. I already have an Odyssey PC925 in the stock location, and the 2nd one is going under the hood between the frame rails.

Im looking for some feedback on if I should go with another 925 or an Optima Blue/Yellow top?

Thoughts???

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Snapper692 said:
Ok, so Im gonna take the plunge and do my 2nd battery. I already have an Odyssey PC925 in the stock location, and the 2nd one is going under the hood between the frame rails.

Im looking for some feedback on if I should go with another 925 or an Optima Blue/Yellow top?

Thoughts???
Blue top seems like the one most people prefer, but it seems so heavy.

G

·
Optima batteries are ok. I tend to stay away from them. There are definitely much better batteries available.

IF you get an optima keep it on a trickle charger. Once an optima goes completely dead it's shot.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Ive always had mixed emotions on the optimas.......but my rhino has a built in trickle charger so it's always plugged in when not in use. While I know the Optima provides more reserves, I like the size and weight of the Odyssey!

I may have to flip a quarter! :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run a yellow top optima in the center of the frame rails now and never have a problem with power. I run 7 55watt super white bulbs in 6" lights and hids in stock location. Last weekend in dunse i was able to remove stock battery and install in freinds rhino that would not restart in dunes. Extra benifiet.

·
Life serves the risk taker
4,197 Posts
I know Maxxrhino went to the center Optima setup and just removed the stocker rather than running 2 batteries and the cost associated. You get twice the Amp hours for just the battery cost and the bracket.

This is the way I may go rather than adding the cost of the isolator's

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
........Im looking for some feedback on if I should go with another 925 or an Optima Blue/Yellow top?........
The 925 has about the same AmpHour rating as the stock battery, or maybe a bit less. It has more cranking Amps (less internal resistance) than the stocker.

The Optima deep cycle batteries have nearly twice the AmpHour capacity, as well as high cranking Amps. Where that will have the most effect is for extended winching pulls, or long draws on the battery from excessive lighting or sound. The AmpHour situation is pretty simple; nothing beats the weight of more lead when supplying electricity for long periods of time.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
which ones are the deep cycle batteries,... does anyone have a link to them and their cost? I am going to be riding at Glamis this summer (at night) and I dont want to run into a dead or low battery condition, esp because I cant charge them up by running during the day.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
which ones are the deep cycle batteries.........
The clue is the case color in the Optimas. The Starting batteries have a dark grey case and the Deep Cycle batteries have a light grey case. The only 'style' that this matters on is the blue tops which have both a Starting version and a Deep Cycle version. The Red tops all have the dark gray case and the Yellow tops all have the light grey case.

I'm personally partial to the Blue top deep cycle (rather than the Yellow tops), simply because there are threaded stud terminals. This makes it a lot easier to wire into the Rhino.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts