Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i have a 07 660 and i`ve been thinking about a BBK for some time i cant take the lack of power that this thing has.and i have read post after post but i still have qustions. my number 1 priority is reliability. a normal day ride for me is anywhere from 50 to 75 miles in the woods. second comes maintenance i dont want something that i am constanlly turning a wrench on for maintenance. i want to be able to run 93 or 94 octane pump gas. i use the rhino for plowing , yard work and having fun so keep that i mind. also i wanna keep the 660 motor no high dollar swaps. i want this rhino to rip but still maintain 100% reliability. so what are my choices?

·
Registered
647 Posts
686 with all the fixins (port, polish, cam, high comp piston, etc). Totally reliable with twice the power of stock. I run 11-1 compression in mine with 91 octane with no issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Buy a tractor to do your yard work, then tune up your Rhino. I tried to do the same and just got frustrated. Once you get some performance out of the Rhino, you will be hooked. I have 30k into mine...... Oops

·
Registered
580 Posts
Im in the same boat as you and dont live far from ya. Were on the east coast so we dont ride on the top end much if at all. For what they charge for a port, its just not needed. There was NO way I was dropping $800+ when I can get the heads ported on my car for the same price. So anyway, do what im doing next week and do a 686 with an 11.1 cp piston and a raptor stage 1 or rhino stage 2 cam and get a jbs primary. Should keep a smile on my face for a while.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
686 with all the fixins (port, polish, cam, high comp piston, etc). Totally reliable with twice the power of stock. I run 11-1 compression in mine with 91 octane with no issues.
x2

While that type of motor will double the peak rwhp it will more than double the low end rwhp...

And the reason is due to how a cvt works... the porting will make a big difference from a stop...if it is quality job...

I would go with a Benchmark 693 myself ...

Just raising the compression and a 26cc more displacement is not a real big gain...

You can gain a lot of performance just with an intake, exhaust, jetting, sheave machined for lower gearing from a stop like the JBS...the right secondary spring and weights for you application...

I would go 686 from 660 without the porting if I had to take the top end off for any reason like a blown head gasket or needing new rings or valve seals and couldn't afford the porting...the better piston is more reliable (although you cannot ever get the 100% you want that is a pipe dream) and the increased compression will help...

Keep your stock carb if you don't want to constantly be tuning it...

You can get a big power gain with a good intake like ours and correct jetting even with a stock exhaust...

If you want to keep it nice and quiet keep your stock exhaust...don't the porting or a big cam because you will NOT be able to run stock exhaust and have it run right...the cam and over sized valves are specifically meant the have real high air flow which you CANNOT get from stock intake and exhaust...

One more thing...you can go to a 720 stroker motor w/o porting and have a lot more low end due to the combined increase in stroke, bore, compression...but NOT rely on high air flow as much and therefore be able to run stock exhaust...

As long as you stay under 11:1 on the compression you can run pump gas...

·
Registered
580 Posts
You can gain a lot of performance just with an intake, exhaust, jetting, sheave machined for lower gearing from a stop like the JBS...the right secondary spring and weights for you application...

I would go 686 from 660 without the porting if I had to take the top end off for any reason like a blown head gasket or needing new rings or valve seals and couldn't afford the porting...the better piston is more reliable (although you cannot ever get the 100% you want that is a pipe dream) and the increased compression will help...

I agree with this as this is the boat Im in. Broke a head exhaust stud so I figured why not.

Keep your stock carb if you don't want to constantly be tuning it...

I totally disagree on this one. Cv carb are JUNK and Ive used fcr carbs in every bike I could put one on. The best reponse and they are easy to tune and usually stay there.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The fcr is a better carb no doubt but the stock carb is not junk and works very well...the rhino is a cvt driven utv not a chain driven quad or bike...the gain at the wheels and therefore bang for the buck is much higher on bikes and quads...

I have been running the stock carb with great success on built motors for lots of years...and so have a lot of others including countless duners and racers...

I also have a lot of customers that have had nothing but problems with with both the fcr and hsr carbs and reverted back to stock and very happy they did...

But I make hi flow intakes for all of them...and not knocking the flat slide carbs or anyone that uses them...but I prefer to keep the stock carb because it's cheap and easy...and when correctly jetted has good performance regardless of what may be better...

The other thing you really need to do if you want more reliability is get rid of the stock rod and get a middle gear support...

Failure of those two items has completely and totally destroyed countless 660 motors...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im not sure what the hell i wanna do. almost everything i read say 686 which im fine with. but before i do that i think im gonna jet it , cdi and exhaust. i already have a sheeve , weights and secondary spring. im fully snorkled so i cant do a intake...........what part of south jersey ya from matt? i have family in willamstown and woodstown.

·
Registered
580 Posts
WOW small world. I grauduated from woodstown. Im in salem now right down the road. Your only 60 miles from me. Well have to ride sometime. Never road with another sxs before.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Mike, one of our 686 kits with a MILD cam, valve spring kit, etc, will really wake it up. Call us to discuss your specific needs, especially related to the cam choice and clutch setup. We can meet your needs!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts