Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 88 samurai to replace my 2005 four seat rhino. I was thinking a little more room in side for the family and more ground clearance was needed. The two are about the same size on the outside so trails will be fine. The problem with the rhino is its low to the ground for water crossings and mud, seems to be too heavy for the hp, lack of room for supplies with two adults and two kids. The worries we have are that the sami will ride like **** compared to the rhino that has rancho coil overs on it and the lack of power will not yield as much fun. We ride a lot of water and mud tails and the rhino is getting stuck a lot. Options are to get longer springs for the rancho shocks and get larger tires for the rhino or sell the rhino and keep the Samurai.

·
Registered
306 Posts
One of the reasons i bought a four wheeler ,was that i could fix what i tore up muddin', cheaper than on a vehicle.
samuri's are kool lookin' with tires on them but i don't know that the motor can turn much over 31" tires without the help of low range, same goes for the rhino, it just doesn't have enough cc's for the weight,clutching can only do so much.
First comes tires,then a lift ,then axles, then bigger tires,then long travel.......soon you end with something that you can only drive certain places.
Just don't go to big on the tires, digging big ass ruts,so's us ******** with the 25's can get thru

·
Registered
561 Posts
Imo, keep the rhino, buy a hot rod sheave and a little bigger tires. You might regret selling it for a samurai. I used to have jeeps and there is no comparison, the rhino is hands down the better choice for trails, woods, mountains, etc...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we were going out today to ride the Sami but truck batt were dead. I agree that the rhino will ride better, I do have the greaseless od weights now and they seem to work great. Maybe a rack on the roof for the bags would help, and some more hp.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I put a yakima roof top box on mine when i need more storage and want to keep everything dry. Send your sheave to James at jbs to have him mill it, It will give you some more felt power.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
yes! send your sheave to James! if your running OD's on stock sheave it will be night and day difference....seriously.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts