Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Tailgate failure

29K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  Brent Williams 
#1 ·
Will I've been at it again with my tiny brain spinning out of control ! I figured since we all have the hinge failure I'll try and figure out a solution. Well I had some scrap aluminum around the shop so I whittled out a few prototype hinges.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I have to open the gate up so I can measure for a backing plate so I have something to bolt fast to. Was actually pretty time consuming since I didn't have the correct material and all my machining is done on a manual bridgeport. I have a power feed but it's from the 50's !

#9 ·
It's surprising how much they have corroded, mine don't look anything like that, must be cause my rhino lives in the desert. I have some rust but not like that. The area I have the most rust is where the front tires sandblast the front lower curved part of the roll cage. It was getting stripped of the paint, so I repaired it, then covered it with hand cut black heavy gauge vinyl sticker. Works perfect.

I'm impressed, your solution to the hinge deal very nice. :icon_rockwoot:

#15 ·
Welcome to the site, you might shoot him a PM also.

#16 ·
I took I bolts.Put 2 everywhere the factory hinges were.Drilled & bolted them to the plastic on tailgate. Pryed I bolts open enough to go over rods on UTV.Slid the bolts over the rods & closed the I bolts with plyers.You can put more than 2 per rod,but thats how I did it.
Have sat on tailgate & still there.Only time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.