Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2009 700 best I can tell bone stock with 28x11-12 tires and 2” wheel spacers. Approx 450 hrs/2200ish miles and runs really strong took it on first ride for 3 days at Ride Royal Blue. Lots of mud and some technical trails but the old girl did everything I asked and even out performed some high dollar rides (mostly due to better tires)

Question to the group...do I make any preemptive upgrades? Such as slugging wet clutch, Greaseless sheeve, or any other suggestions? What is the low hanging fruit I should go after. It is performing great but...are there weak spots I can correct to save me down the line?

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
98 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the 700 Rhino, but on the 660, the rear differential support bracket is what I did right away. Seems like they would crack when driven hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the 700 Rhino, but on the 660, the rear differential support bracket is what I did right away. Seems like they would crack when driven hard.
What type did you buy?

·
Registered
2006 660 Rhino
98 Posts
I bought blackrhino, but some folks on this forum mention other brands.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi Big Mo - welcome to the forum. I have a 2012 700 that I eventually ended up installing a dry sheave, Stage One Cam and a Power Commander fuel/ignition system - the power achieved through all that was, in my opinion, not worth money spent. Later on I installed power steering and that WAS worth the investment. Update your sheave, get a new belt and consider the power steering - think that's all you need to be a happy Rhino camper - unless you're determined to run with the big boys which, in that case, should consider a product designed for that. The Rhino is like the old Timex, takes a lickin but keeps on tickin (if you don't go mod crazy)... :giggle:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Big Mo - welcome to the forum. I have a 2012 700 that I eventually ended up installing a dry sheave, Stage One Cam and a Power Commander fuel/ignition system - the power achieved through all that was, in my opinion, not worth money spent. Later on I installed power steering and that WAS worth the investment. Update your sheave, get a new belt and consider the power steering - think that's all you need to be a happy Rhino camper - unless you're determined to run with the big boys which, in that case, should consider a product designed for that. The Rhino is like the old Timex, takes a lickin but keeps on tickin (if you don't go mod crazy)... :giggle:
Thanks Sandbuster. I don’t feel the need for any big performance upgrades it does just fine. I am just interested in mods for reliability.

·
Registered
675 Posts
"Rhino" is reliability - depending of course on how PO took care of it. It sounds like a good machine though - you'll have years of fun with it. If you (or PO) are heavy duty into mudding then you can likely expect axle failures eventually. Occasional water or mud entry doesn't hurt a thing. I use the the Maxxi Big Horn tires (OEM size) and they have served me great - look at my video "A little downhill action" from this past March. When I was younger, a hundred years back or so - my need for speed was crazy stupid. Now that I'm old as dirt I actually notice little things like trees, Fall colors, animals - all that Mother Nature stuff - the Rhino is just the right tool to use for fun and discovery purposes. Enjoy it and use this forum up - lots of years of experience here with a lot of members willing to share their knowledge!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Rhino" is reliability - depending of course on how PO took care of it. It sounds like a good machine though - you'll have years of fun with it. If you (or PO) are heavy duty into mudding then you can likely expect axle failures eventually. Occasional water or mud entry doesn't hurt a thing. I use the the Maxxi Big Horn tires (OEM size) and they have served me great - look at my video "A little downhill action" from this past March. When I was younger, a hundred years back or so - my need for speed was crazy stupid. Now that I'm old as dirt I actually notice little things like trees, Fall colors, animals - all that Mother Nature stuff - the Rhino is just the right tool to use for fun and discovery purposes. Enjoy it and use this forum up - lots of years of experience here with a lot of members willing to share their knowledge!
Previous owner bought it new and she mostly used it in the mud. As for me it will be trail ridden in the mountains and driven around the ranch in west Texas. Driving in the mud will be only if it rains during a planned trip. I think the 28 that are on it are to big abs far to aggressive for what I will be doing. I am considering dropping down to 26” and going with a 8ply all terrain type tire. But I do like the current ground clearance so I am thinking of adding 2 inch lift when I drop to 26’s in order to keep the ground clearance

·
Registered
2009 Rhino 700, Hunters Edition
6 Posts
I fully agree with Sandbuster! As for tires, I think you are on the right track with getting 26’s, especially if they are Bighorns. Large tires really rob power. The lift kit is problematic as it causes lots of stress on the axel joints and requires more power to turn. You will find old strings on this forum debating the merits of lift kits. I recently contemplated it myself and choose not to do it. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts