Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought it out for the first time in sand @ some mini dunes in Johnson Valley, CA. I gotta say the performance was less than impressive, much less...in fact it was depressing :cry: 2 adults, flat ground, deep soft sand, full throttle passes brought a top speed of 19-21 mph. This is a bone stock 07 S.E. Can I expect a HUGE improvement with some upgrades or are these things just sand slugs?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Well, if you havent be sure next time to air down your tires to at least 5.5 psi, if not you wont have any floatation to stay on top of the sand you will be plowing through it instead.

The sand definitely robs power... I typically see about a 10-14 mph drop in top speed from driving it on the street in comparison to the sand. It just depends on how soft the sand in where I am riding or if the winds have softened the sand up.

Recommended performance upgrades will get you up to about the 37-45 mph range in the sand.

KMS Sheave (Duner Kit)
Dynatek CDI
Some sort of Intake mod
Billet Exhaust tip OR just get the Hushflow Exhaust from Rhinocrap.com

I would imagine that on the streets you will be at 55-60mph with this set up. Just dont try to mod out the Rhino like you would a quad. I have seen people right away throw on slip on exhausts and cams and end up losing power and speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trooper522 said:
Where did you go ? Your the first person I have heard that didnt like the rhino did you get the 660 or the 450 ?
WHOA?!? I didn't say I don't like it! through the desert it's a blast just a bit sandepressing. It is a 660.

Color me retarded! read your reply checked my pressure and yup, 32 P.S.I.!!! I plan on a sheave, dynatek, & intake but I'm hesitant on any pipe mods as I enjoy being able to hear my wife screaming when the ass end swaps out through the whoops :twisted:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Oh ! sorry ! well thats good I usually go to Ocotillo Wells anyway theres alot of hardpack there some sand but not alot. :D

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Hushflows are really quiet... I know all the brands say that but its the truth... I will try to record a couple of them this weekend at the GlamisDunes Rhino Shindig.

The best thing about the Hushflows, is that they actually make HP instead of losing it like other exhausts out there.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
it comes with a DVD instructions, if you are not mechanically inclined like me, then it will take you about 2 hours. Its very easy, to me the hard part was removing the plastic and getting access to the sheave.

Just get some latex gloves and a new tube of ultramatic grease, it gets messy.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Brian from ACI swears by their clutch mods. Springs, inner and outter primary machine work. I don't know about exact speeds, but I care about the power it puts down to the rear wheels. Their setup will run about $300 I believe. I haven''t tried the KMS one, but I hear it's a major improvement. As for sand cruising,, MR OFFROAD offers the same advice I could offer.. You will be surprised the night and day difference it makes when having these few mods done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.