Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I am pretty new here.
I just bought my second 660, and before I take it down to my place in Mexico I am doing a few upgrades here at home where I have more tools.
I discovered this Monoprice storage box that fits well under the hood.
you can get it through the Monoprice website but I bought it on Amazon:

I placed the box in the space behind the radiator a bit back to leave room for the oil lines and not crowd the radiator.
I marked the angle of the support bars on the side of the box with a grease pencil.
I took two pieces of 3/8" inch bar stock and flattened the ends by grinding.
I drilled 3/8" holes through the outer plastic box support webbing to feed the bars through.
I drilled holes in the flat spots of the bars to pass a 6mm bolt. You may want to go slightly larger on the bar. One of the holes was off-center a little and I ended up having to weld on a washer instead because the metal on one side of the hole was too thin. (sloppy drilling).
I loosened the battery box, removed the inner upper mounting bolt, and wedged the flat spot on the upper support bar I made under the battery box, and fastened the existing bolt through the plastic box, the hole in the upper rod, then into the frame.
I drilled a hole through the bottom of the battery box at the lower corner on the inside, going through to the frame and tapped it for 6mm.
I tapped the existing hole in the frame opposite the battery box mounting hole to 6mm.
I drilled a new hole in the frame across from the lower hole I drilled in the battery box and tapped it to 6mm.
I painted the bars black, then slid them through the holes in the box webbing.
I then mounted the whole shebang in the space.
It is very sturdy and clears everything well. Th
I ground a little of the webbing on the back of the box hinges a little to allow the lid to open up a bit wider—because I had mounted it pretty far back.

The only thing I have not yet tackled is the vent button. I removed it to clear the lower rod. I will grind a little off of it to make it clear so I can pop it back in.

The thing I like about this installation is the minimum modification to the stock Rhino frame. It only required drilling two small holes in the frame and tapping them

-Andrew.

See pict.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i run a tool box in the bed myself , but under the drivers seat is a good place also to consider , unless you run a car battery in that area like me ..
Jake

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am working on a 12v pump/water container under the seat that's why I needed another option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya gonna pump cold draft on the trails? 😊
Oooh, now there is an idea...

Actually, I keep it down at a place I have in Baja and where have a couple of very small sailboats that I use the Rhino to pull down to the water.
I want a way to rinse the salt off the boat and sail when I pull them out.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Oh that's just fine - you just made about a 1000 people on this forum terribly envious! Lets see, first and foremost (for some) you're a Rhino owner, then you got some kind of beach pad in Baha saddled down with a couple of sailboats - you livin the dream or what? NICE NICE NICE!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not quite there yet... but workin on it. The "place" is a pad for a trailer. The house will hopefully come in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The ol Sunfish! My dad built one from a kit back in the 50s. He and I took it out on Lake Decatur quite abit. Cubby hole just big enough for our feet and his cooler. Good memories!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so do you pull the boats to the water on a trailer ?
Yeah, I have a couple of trailers—one is a small flatbed that I put a couple of bunks on that can hold the Sunfish and my Minifish, or alternatively a couple of fishing Kayaks, and one is like a hand cart with beach tires that will hold one boat that I can hook up to the back and tow it slowly down to the water (its narrow). The beach is wide, so it can be 200–300 yards to the water and towing the boat down there is way easier than rolling It by hand.

Actually, I was thinking of making a fork-like attachment to the front receiver that I could use to just run them down to the water. I am just worried about how much weight that front receiver can take. The Sunfish weighs about 180 lbs but hanging out in front of the Rhino, that much weight leveraged may be too much stress on the front receiver. I can't find a tongue weight rating for the front receiver anywhere though...

·
Registered
668 Posts
You probably won't find that spec but my sense is that much overhang would not be kind to your front structure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would build a simple T- trailer , you can push it from the front or pull it from the rear , that's not very much weight to move around , simple fab job .
Jake

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are probably right Jake. Also, I wanted to respond to your sprayer comment. I want to have the ability to use it as sprayer for rinsing myself off down at the beach too, that's why I wanna keep it in the Rhino

·
Registered
668 Posts
I like it! Looks like it's setup to pivot under winch control - smart. I have one of those sprayer mentioned. I use it for killing off unwanted brush on TN property but honestly unless you could find a way to modify the output pressure it would likely prove to weak of a spray to wash down a boat - or even yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK , I drew up a more elaborate idea. Dunno if it's worth it or not. Seems like fun though. I could weld rings on the end of the forks to attach ratcheting straps to hold it from sliding around.

I would love to do it the long way, that way I could use the winch to pull the boat up onto the forks,. Then clip the lead to the fork lever and tilt it up. I just dont think 9-foot forks holding 180 lbs out that far would be good for the front receiver. especially if I am bouncing along the beach...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts