Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my neighbor acquired an 06 rhino 450, we believe the cdi has gone kaput. It has no spark whatsoever.

He was telling me the guy who had it said it just kept running worse and eventually wouldn't start any longer.
Also looks like the oe fuel pump may have gone bad at some point as it's had an electric pump put on and I believe these had a pulse type pump?

Was wondering if anyone had a oem cdi that could be obtained for a fairly cheap price. There an old retired couple and am trying to get this up and running for em.

It also needs a fuel tank as it's got a big crack in it any thing available aftermarket for those?

Any help we could get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all. Beau

·
Registered
3 Posts
With a multimeter you can test the pulser coil ( some called crank position sensor, pick up coil, crank trigger, etc )then test the stator. also test the ignition coil , coil wire and spark plug cap. if all are good then the CDI is bad. No way to test a CDI.

·
Registered
2005 660
44 Posts
CDIs rarely go bad. More than likely you have an issue with one of the components listed in the above post.

Start with the pulse coils, they are the source of the spark signal, and work your way back. There are videos on how to check them. Unfortunately you can't do a visual since they're inside the passenger side engine cover.

It could also be something as simple as a broken wire somewhere. Check your harness for signs of damage.

There happens to be a used 450 fuel tank on ebay right now for $139. Not sure of any aftermarket ones but they may have them out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CDIs rarely go bad. More than likely you have an issue with one of the components listed in the above post.

Start with the pulse coils, they are the source of the spark signal, and work your way back. There are videos on how to check them. Unfortunately you can't do a visual since they're inside the passenger side engine cover.

It could also be something as simple as a broken wire somewhere. Check your harness for signs of damage.

There happens to be a used 450 fuel tank on ebay right now for $139. Not sure of any aftermarket ones but they may have them out there.
Ok I'll go check it out and let em know. Thank you all for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts