Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1217 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
STETLER's R1 RHINO BUILD - finally VIDEO posted

I decided to start a thread again on my rhino this time about the motor swap since the suspension has been completed. I'm gonna post lots of pics and detail during my R1 Motor swap and full race cage. I don't plan on having this completed until late September as this will be a part time project for me and Todd at 151fabrication. So please bare with me on updating new info on here.

I have also posted another thread just like this on another private forum so some of you may see the same thing twice.

I decided to do this motor swap last winter after I had my suspension completed ( Stetler's Rhino - Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net ) and took it to the dunes to find out that it was just to slow for all of that travel. On hard dirt it worked really well but in the sand it was just a pig. I only added a little over 100lbs with all the suspension upgrades. I found myself trying to drive much faster through the dunes and keeping the speed at the top of some dunes so I could jump but the stock motor just won't keep up speed a lot of times. Not to mention I think it took me 5 min to drive down the middle of the sand drags pretty embaresing.

I was going to go with the Rotax 800 swap and keep my 4wd but I just knew I would want to go faster and besides I found a 2007 R1 complete motor with 1500 miles on it for $500. That right there made up my mind. Then after I bought it I did some internet research and discovered that my 2007 R1 motor is the Sh*t. Alot of changes made to the 07 motors. Look at this crazy FI set up that moves the 4 upper intake runners up and down. Soup :: 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1: More And Less Of A Very Good Thing :: 10-09-2006
Not to mention 178HP before I reprogram it.

I really need to sell all my stock parts before my rhino goes into the shop to get the engine swap and cage. I have listed most of my items on ebay and other forums. So far I have had real good luck with the sales. This morning my stock engine just sold on ebay. I'm waiting for the $ to transfer into my paypal account.
My plan is to buy almost everything first then send it to 151fabrication in Corona for the build.
I'm going to start off with picks of the way it looked right before the teardown, then I'll start posting pics of the teardown. I'm going to strip it all down myself and cut out all the frame rails/cage pieces I don't need in my garage. This will help cut down the shop time that I will have to pay for. Todd at 151 Fab is a very close friend to me so he will be stopping by my house often to give me pointers on what I can do and not do by myself.

As always your comments, questions, and helpful ideas are very welcome. If you live close by my house your more then welcome to stop by, have a beer , and shoot the ****.

Thanks for checking my thread out.

Today I worked on the R1 motor and removed the smog equipment and installed block off plates.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sounds like you got a hell of a find for that motor!!!! You could almost make money on this set up...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you got a hell of a find for that motor!!!! You could almost make money on this set up...
Yes, it was very hard not to turn around and sell the motor and just keep my rhino for what it is. I even thought about selling it and paying for the 800 Rotax. That would save me the 3K for a gearbox I'm going to need.
But what fun would that be when a R1 blows right past me in Glamis.
The guy was asking $900 for the motor and I emailed an offer to him for $500. He replied back with a $600. and before I could write back and say I'll take it. He replied again and said be at my house in the morning with $500.:35::35:. I was there. He also gave me the exhaust and radiator. I turned around and sold the radiator for $160.00. So this motor only cost me $340.00.
Even Todd kept telling me to sell it and make some easy $.

·
Registered
366 Posts
cant wait to see some pix that things gonna be bad azzz with that r-1 :beer3:

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Email me next time you find one of these crazy deals

I still look every day for R1 deals. There's about 4 other guys that have PM'd me waiting for a deal like that too. I think if I find one that's close by I'll buy it and post it on here for the same price I paid for it. That way you guys all have a good chance buying it. That is if I can even find one that cheap again.

cant wait to see some pix that things gonna be bad azzz with that r-1 :beer3:
Thanks! I hope it will be. I know I should of just bought a R1 rail but I already had this and my suspension is 10 times better then those short car rails. besides 151fab is doing the swap super cheap for me because this will be his mock up rhino and maybe start selling the conversion kits to do yourself.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I loved them the first trip then I hated them the next 2 trips. They pulled real bad down flat and whoop roads. Almost like I was running on flat tires. My steering wheel kept shaking and the rhino would float back and fourth a little. In the Dunes....They kicked ass. I could turn on a dime. I almost flipped it one time turning to hard and I have a 8+ LT. With knobbies in front I would never get on 2 wheels no matter how fast or hard I turned. Keep in mind I have a lot of suspension that soaks up my cornering.

Right now I can't decide . I'll tell you next season when I get some more hrs on them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
what size are they stetler my new ones are 27" you will prolly want 27" with the low gearing that you will have plus it looks killer with huge tires on it! is todd going to re make your rear arms or will the 930 fit? i had lsr and it would fit but wouldnt cycle thru the suspension. man i am wish i wold have found a deal like that on my motor! paid 1400 to get mine to the door its an 02. but it runs good enuff for me.... for now..... when are you planning on starting to take a plasma to your rhino?lol

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My tire's are 26" or at least they started out as 26" then cut down.
As far as the rear arms. That's up to Todd, I think he wanted to keep the same arms and make new uprights but what ever he decides to do It's completely up to him. He designed my whole suspension, The only thing he gave me a choice on was the shock tower. He drew up a few different designs to choose from.

Here's one of them made out of thin wood.

Then here's the one I had him change it to.

So either way I trust his work and choices for the build I'm just not sure which way he'll adapt everything together.

He was mentioning that if everything goes as planned he MIGHT make kits to sell. That would be a do it yourself option or have him do it. But that's a ways down the road. One step at a time.

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
this thing is going to be sick! cool build stetler!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah you suspension is killer I wish I had enuff experiance to build mine like that! I am learning. You going with rpm box right? Minibuggyman.com has the fnr arm that bolts to the shaft on the gear box for like 20 bucks also I bought my axles from him the were 200 he also sold me my in board brake rotor that is custom cut outta stainless for a good price. Tell him nick fisher sent you

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah you suspension is killer I wish I had enuff experiance to build mine like that! I am learning. You going with rpm box right? Minibuggyman.com has the fnr arm that bolts to the shaft on the gear box for like 20 bucks also I bought my axles from him the were 200 he also sold me my in board brake rotor that is custom cut outta stainless for a good price. Tell him nick fisher sent you
Thanks again Nick for all the info through PM's and emails. Your info is really gonna hepl my build easier!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
this is what i need to do to mine. My friend has one sitting in his shop just dont know if i want to go get it.

keep us posted, if i did this i would have to try to make the 4wheel drive with a external gearbox of some sort

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will be running the Porsche 930 axles and haven't decided on the gearbox at the moment. It will have reverse though. I'll need to be able to drive it back down from here. I would hate to start my weekend trips off by pushing my rhino first. Your only suppose to push it if it's broke! ha ha

1 - 20 of 1217 Posts