Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get rid of my stock steering wheel and get something different. What should I be looking at? I found a few on ebay. Just wanted to see what everyone is using.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also interested. Want to change out the stock steering wheel for something more comfortable.

Wondering what adapters are needed,what size, what brands everyone went with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was looking at super atv site. They have steering wheels with adapters starting at $100 bucks.Don't know if there any good or not maybe someone else could tell you that has purchased one from them ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was looking at super atv site. They have steering wheels with adapters starting at $100 bucks.Don't know if there any good or not maybe someone else could tell you that has purchased one from them ?
Yeah, I purchased a blue one from them, with adapter. Fit well, looks good, but...................

First big bump/jump you do, it will fold like a pretzel, just like mine did!!! I liked the looks/feel of it, so I took it to our machine shop, and the tech basically reinforced the entire brushed aluminum section with a laser cut piece of 6061. I then tapped and bolted this section behind the original. Super strong, and works great, now!

If you don't want to go through all the hassle, stick with a Momo brand, or something along those lines. Super tough, but expensive. The Super ATV one is meant for "street only", trust me. You get what you pay for!!! FWIW!! C-Ya

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a steering wheel on ebay. I will let you know how it works out. I like the style because I used to race shifter carts and used a similar steering wheel on my cart. This come with an adapter for the column as well.

Her is a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
I found a steering wheel on ebay. I will let you know how it works out. I like the style because I used to race shifter carts and used a similar steering wheel on my cart. This come with an adapter for the column as well.

Her is a picture
That is the same one I have, a "Type R", in blue though.

When you are ready, I'll PM you some pics on how to reinforce it.

You'll need them. Let me know.

C-Ya!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Her is a picture
That is the same one I have, a "Type R", in blue though.

When you are ready, I'll PM you some pics on how to reinforce it.

You'll need them. Let me know.

C-Ya!!
Yes pictures please

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have a friend that really wants to buy a stock steering wheel. Keep me posted if you upgrade.

I have one off a 08' he can have. Drive out to Santee and get it! HAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i would like to see some pictures of how hard it is to reinforce it also.

i am looking at some Momo but they are expensive. Also where would i find an adapter that works with this wheel and the rhino?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here's some pics of how I reinforced it.

Basically, I cut out a template of the exposed brushed aluminum "spokes" of the wheel, cut it out of 6061, and drilled, tapped, and bolted it to the back of the wheel. The original "spoke" of the wheel is super soft aluminum; once it bends( and it will!) it gets weaker and weaker as the forces are applied.

Hope this helps! C-Ya!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cheap steering wheel

The cheap one from super atv should be ok for me ! I just use it to putt around :bike4:...................... on!!!! :fingersx:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh great, I just paid $100 for a POS steering wheel. By any chance, do you still have the template? Are you able to make another one?

·
Registered
188 Posts
tazz,

I made the template over a year ago, so no, I no longer have it. Making the template is the easy part, though.

Just lay the wheel on a piece of cardboard, and trace out the needed piece. You will have to "flatten out" the center section with a rubber mallet; it has a "dish" to it. My was already flat, since it had been been bent back and forth a couple of times! You can then cut out the piece on a bandsaw, or even a jigsaw with the proper blade would work. I used a piece of 6061 .1875 thick aluminum as the backing plate. Keep in mind you have to drill and clearence the hole for the mounting bolt for the adapter. When you get your wheel, you will see what I mean. Then just clamp the two pieces together, and drill/tap the holes for the bolts that hold the two pieces together.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it is not too bad. Let me know if you have any other questions! C-Ya!!

Mike

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well you were 100% right on the softness of the steering wheel. I received it today in the mail and put it through a minor test. Yes it did bend. I emailed them and they said to return it and I will get a refund. The sad part about it was that it was from Super ******** On the lighter side, they were very happy to take it back. Their concern was that I was happy with what I bought from them. Now the search continuous for a steering wheel. I might try Black Rhino Performance - Black Rhino Performance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts