Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stock rhino 700

notice on my last ride the steering wheel was not straight anymore while going down the road.

haven't hit anything that i've really noticed.

Common?

Anybody else?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Over time, the toe can get out. Is it pulling to one side at all? Measure the distance at the rear and front of tire. Should be 1/4"-3/8" in at the front.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that.

To measure, I'll measure from the inside front part of the wheel and the inside of the back part of the same wheel.

What should I use for reference point on the frame?

If it's off, how would I adjust the toe back?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Make sure there's equal amount of thread showing on tie rod If you measure from the tie rod boot to tie rod end, they should be the same from side to side.

Take your toe measurements from the inside of tires as you mentioned. Adjust toe in toe out: disconnect the tie rod end from the knuckle and rotate in or out equal rotations on both sides. Manually roll the machine forward and back a couple times. Take measurements again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
you do a front end alingment....just like a car....i do these all the time..ive even done a car this way and never had a prob at hwy speed or tire wear....i use a laser....i have a two foot level...for contruction...it has the laser on the end that will point staight out the end...many peaple have these...just ask around...put your wheel straight....unhook pass side tye rod...ajust front left wheel untill its staight with the rear wheel...i use a helper...hold level on rear center and point toward the front...have helper hold it there....put tape meshure on front rim center front and back of rim...ajust that ty rod untill its where you want it...then do other side...then mesure center to center off front tread....then the back side of front wheel center to center tread...have the front a 1/4 less..thats your toe inn....should be good for any atv...and a car too 1 time..all was good

·
Registered
460 Posts
stock rhino 700

notice on my last ride the steering wheel was not straight anymore while going down the road.

haven't hit anything that i've really noticed.

Common?

Anybody else?
before anything check your spindle.Most guys have bent spindles and just keep putting more toe in to make up for it.As fot alighnment =Its offroad point it straight and go!dont get too techie

·
Administrator
2,240 Posts
Same thing on mine ...2 years ago drove down a dune, hit the bottom too hard with left front tire while turning ....the steering wheel has been 45* off since .....adjusted toe in and have logged mucho miles since with no problems ......just put a yellow zip tie on steering wheel at 12 oclock high for reference going straight and keep riding .....mines a bent spindle,,,,,,,,,,,,,screw it till it breaks IMO ....Lance

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
All of these are great ideals...if you want to see a SIMPLE, one person way to do it, go to James' page. He has a how-to video showing an alignment....super EASY, and simple!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great ! ....now all I have to do is find James' page.

My girl actually pointed it out to me that ours also pulls right (steering wheel steers the ride straight at about 10 o'clock position).

I would have never noticed. I steer it until it goes straight. ...like riding a motorcycle with bent bars. * LOL *

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of these are great ideals...if you want to see a SIMPLE, one person way to do it, go to James' page. He has a how-to video showing an alignment....super EASY, and simple!!

U have a link?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
go to WV HotRods page...click on his youtube link...he has a bunch of vids on there. On the right, there are all of his vids...go down through till you find the alignment video. After you watch it you'll see how simple of a job it is w/just one person!! Me and all my buds do it that way, and have zero wear issues!!

·
Banned
401 Posts
Easy fix just tilt your head a little (YouTube wv hot rod)

·
Registered
319 Posts
At risk of looking like a complete idiot (One, because I've never worked on a car's steering or correcting it (My knowledge is limited to actually knowing what a tie-rod is), and two because I can't find any tutorials on VW Hot Rod's You Tube for instruction).

I see a lot of ride reports - No Tie rod instructions. ~ shrug ~

The advantage I have of course is I can only get smarter ! LOL

Edit: So I went out to look at the general alignment and it was clearly evident that there was disagreement in the wheels alignment. A quick twist of a 17 and 12mm wrench made them visually straight. We'll see what happens when she's rolling. Either way it'll go straight !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts