Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have burnt up my third starter relay for this year.
Is this normally caused by a bad starter pulling too much juice.

the starter does not always crank over right away. It struggles to crank the motor over most of the time. once it starts cranking it is fine.

I have checked my wiring connections so I believe they are good and not causing starter to crank hard. I have also tested the battery and is putting out enough juice.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I have burnt up my third starter relay for this year.
Is this normally caused by a bad starter pulling too much juice.

the starter does not always crank over right away. It struggles to crank the motor over most of the time. once it starts cranking it is fine.

I have checked my wiring connections so I believe they are good and not causing starter to crank hard. I have also tested the battery and is putting out enough juice.
Were these aftermarket starter relays?

It could be the starter motor at fault, There is no easy way for the average person to measure the current draw of the motor to diagnose. The service manual may give you a resistance value that the motor will be at. However, it takes a special milliohm meter to accurately measure the typical very low resistance value of electric motors.

Or, it could be something causing an unusual load on the motor during start up. The Rhinos have a decompression device on the camshaft that releases part of the compression pressure to make it easier to crank over. You probably should check that out. Related to that is that it will be harder to crank over if you have a high compression piston installed. However, I have not heard of starter relay failures directly related to the piston compression ratio.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Test cables-sometimes they can get corroded around the ends where you can't see it....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
It started working again this weekend and I did not try fixing anything.
I tried starting all week with no sucess. Hit the key friday night and fired right up and worked all weekend.
Not sure what to think now. Guess I will wait and see if it does it again to figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys,
It started working again this weekend and I did not try fixing anything.
Guess I will wait and see if it does it again to figure out what the problem is.
Well? How did it turn out? My newly acquired 2005 had a similar start problem. The last week it did nothing when I turned the ignition. I could hear the starter solenoid click but nothing else after that. I changed the solenoid anyway. But now with that changed and a new battery in the engine compartment, the starter just constantly runs when I connect the battery. I'm at a loss. Might change the starter next. I'm wondering if there might be a bad relay somewhere but I don't have a schematic to go by period any ideas would be much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts