Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 450 rhino and when you go to start it the starter spins for about 30 seconds before it turns that engine over. Is this a starter clutch issue or something else. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my reading I’ve seen this is a known fuel delivery issue. The line empties so when you go to start it later it’s gotta fill the line up with fuel. A couple fixes... put a electric fuel pump. Or... put a fuel primer bulb and give a few pumps prior to turning the starter. I spray a little accelerant in the intake (this gets the motor going right away and vacuum gets the fuel delivered very quick).

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a 450 rhino and when you go to start it the starter spins for about 30 seconds before it turns that engine over. Is this a starter clutch issue or something else. Thanks for the help
Sometimes referred to as "the Bendix drive" it is essentially a one-way engagement gear drive that thrusts itself into the flywheel to spin the engine over - if I am interrupting correctly your statement. If the starter is not immediately engaging the flywheel then you need to remove the starter and check both the operation of the Bendix AND the condition of the flywheel (check for missing or messed up teeth). If the starter IS spinning the engine over for 30 seconds but its just not starting then refer to what "I'm 06 Rhino 450" states, as that is a very common problem with the carbureted Rhinos.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sometimes referred to as "the Bendix drive" it is essentially a one-way engagement gear drive that thrusts itself into the flywheel to spin the engine over - if I am interrupting correctly your statement. If the starter is not immediately engaging the flywheel then you need to remove the starter and check both the operation of the Bendix AND the condition of the flywheel (check for missing or messed up teeth). If the starter IS spinning the engine over for 30 seconds but its just not starting then refer to what "I'm 06 Rhino 450" states, as that is a very common problem with the carbureted Rhinos.
I thought the starter was always engaged. There is no bendix drive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'll have to back up a bit then - never had a Yamaha starter apart so I was relying on 25 years in the auto repair trade. That's what happens when one makes assumptions! Sorry for the incorrect response. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
The starter "gear" is a sprague clutch system. The starter spins the sprague which causes the sprague to tighten around the exterior surface of the flywheel, turning the engine over. If you're saying it takes 30 seconds before the starter begins turning the engine over, you probably have broken teeth or springs in the sprague clutch. Repair requires taking off the passenger side fan cover and the engine cover and getting into the gears and chains. It's a pain, but it's much easier if you take out the fuel tank.

If the problem is the engine is cranking over for 30 seconds before it starts, the issue is most likely no fuel to the carb as stated above.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Proglassman: You never responded to any of the guys that offered help - did you get your starter problem resolved?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts