Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It was good for me. Very noticeable power increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I put a Hotcam Rhino II(Raptor I)(same thing) in about 1500 miles ago.Big improvment & bigger with ignition & full exhaust.I did not upgrage the valve springs per the Hotcam website.Per the Hotcam website,the cam uses duration rather than lift & I have had no issues(I dont go over 8000 rpm also)There is a good youtube vid of a guy changing a cam out on a Raptor(Ignore the valve change)Hunterworks also has a vid with good tips but the quality is low.Watch 'm both -Take your time & do it!

·
Registered
647 Posts
You really need the full package to really wake it up, but I can't see the harm in doing it in isolation.

Call benchmark and see what they recommend....I'm running a custom web cam grind from them and it's awesome!

·
Registered
561 Posts
How much roughly is a cam (kit)?

1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
big increase!!!...i have what you need..lol
i wouldnt go anywhere else brother! will it still be as reliable? I dont want it to be like my chevy 427 that I am adjusting valves, jetting and tuning all the time...if thats even a fair comparison. Since I'll be pushing more air, I assume I'll need a complete exhaust? Right now I just have a Gibson slip on. Nate at Alba is sure offering a great deal on his exhaust to members. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
i wouldnt go anywhere else brother! will it still be as reliable? I dont want it to be like my chevy 427 that I am adjusting valves, jetting and tuning all the time...if thats even a fair comparison. Since I'll be pushing more air, I assume I'll need a complete exhaust? Right now I just have a Gibson slip on. Nate at Alba is sure offering a great deal on his exhaust to members. Thanks for the help guys!
The cam you are talking about is mild and using the stock valves/springs with whatever minimal changes required is not going to change your reliability or run-ability...

You will not see a significant power gain with stock header...you might even see a power loss...the "bigger" cam will want to make more power at higher rpms and will be better served by a higher flow rate at the intake/exhaust...

Fuel metering will remain the same...from stock cam to mild aftermarket cam...and will be determined primarily by intake/exhaust...and throttle body size...

You would probably want to contact Benchmark for a modified throttle body to go with the cam/exhaust...and whatever he recommends for an intake for the 700...

If you had a 660 and didn't get my intake I would be offended...and you would not have the best one available... :biggrin:

The Alba exhaust is a good bang for buck for both power and quality...The Muzzy's might or might not be better for power...certainly look and sound better...but also cost a lot more...I have run Alba exhaust extensively on the 660 and can guarantee you that the difference in power in your case (mostly stock motor with mild cam) would be small...you would never know the difference...you will not be sorry you got the Alba based on power, fit, quality...

1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cam you are talking about is mild and using the stock valves/springs with whatever minimal changes required is not going to change your reliability or run-ability...

You will not see a significant power gain with stock header...you might even see a power loss...the "bigger" cam will want to make more power at higher rpms and will be better served by a higher flow rate at the intake/exhaust...

Fuel metering will remain the same...from stock cam to mild aftermarket cam...and will be determined primarily by intake/exhaust...and throttle body size...

You would probably want to contact Benchmark for a modified throttle body to go with the cam/exhaust...and whatever he recommends for an intake for the 700...

If you had a 660 and didn't get my intake I would be offended...and you would not have the best one available... :biggrin:

The Alba exhaust is a good bang for buck for both power and quality...The Muzzy's might or might not be better for power...certainly look and sound better...but also cost a lot more...I have run Alba exhaust extensively on the 660 and can guarantee you that the difference in power in your case (mostly stock motor with mild cam) would be small...you would never know the difference...you will not be sorry you got the Alba based on power, fit, quality...
Craig, so what are you are you saying? Alba or not? What makes the Muzzy better? Hope you are not offended, but I have a 700. LOL At least I run your favorite oil filter now. Do you recommend a different cam? New throttle body, really...sounds like a bigger "cheap/easy mod" than I thought. Thanks

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I am not recommending anything really just giving you my opinions... :biggrin:

Others that run the cam with stock head/piston with an exhaust say they like it...and you were wanting to try it but concerned about adverse effects and do you need a header... no adverse affects and you do need a header..

If you are going to increase power at higher rpms with cam, header and exhaust then IMO you should not ignore the intake/throttle body as that is half the equation with regard to air flow...and air flow is power...not saying you NEED to change it...but I would at least check into it...IMO...Benchmark would be the one to ask...

If you are going to replace the cam...you might as well get piston too... :)

You might have to sell your 427cu to get a 727cc ... :lol:

1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not recommending anything really just giving you my opinions... :biggrin:

Others that run the cam with stock head/piston with an exhaust say they like it...and you were wanting to try it but concerned about adverse effects and do you need a header... no adverse affects and you do need a header..

If you are going to increase power at higher rpms with cam, header and exhaust then IMO you should not ignore the intake/throttle body as that is half the equation with regard to air flow...and air flow is power...not saying you NEED to change it...but I would at least check into it...IMO...Benchmark would be the one to ask...

If you are going to replace the cam...you might as well get piston too... :)

You might have to sell your 427cu to get a 727cc ... :lol:[/QUO

not many 66 427 Biscayne numbers matching original owner cars out there... Maybe I'll do a 427 swap. Thanks for the info Craig

·
Registered
844 Posts
I just got my rzr back from ALBA and i am super impressed. ALthough mine is a rzr they have lots of rhinos there also and the guys there know what they are doing. I saw a huge increase in power with the cams and exhaust they did for me

·
Registered
980 Posts
I haven't been messing with rhinos and such much but from my experience with increasing power in anything always start with your supporting mods (intake, exhaust, clutching ect) then you will get full benifits once you get in the engine.. otherwise you won't get the pull potiential out of your cam, pistons, ect..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
What is the part number for this Cam?

·
Registered
296 Posts
According to the Hotcam website,#4129-2 is stage 2 Rhino 700 or # 4064-1 is Raptor 700 stage 1. Double check all the specs cuz they look identical on paper. I have the stage 1 Raptor 700 in my Rhino 700 & it is way noticable on the ButtDyno! I had about 1700 miles on my new Hotcam when I removed it for a piston install-The cam looked brand new!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts