Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says, I can't get the Roof back on my 2011 Rhino Sport with my new SSV stereo.

First, the roof can't sit down flat on the cage anymore. It sits about 3/4" higher than it used to.... if it could still even clamp down to the cage anymore. :dunno:

The other chinchy thing is that the spacers only let you install 4 screws from the bracket to the stereo whereas bolting only the brackets to the stereo allows you to use 6 per side. Again, :dunno:

Next, the little half-moon clamps can't reach the roof (because the roof can't sit flat on the cage anymore). Additionally, the mounts visible are not visible from the seat when looking up. The stereo covers up the needed mounts. What's up with this? :fuckyou:

I don't get it. I thought I was getting a premium stereo for $599. Any advice? I contacted the SSV Works website with an email on 10/6, and now I am waiting for a reply. I'm just not real happy with this right now because, well lets face it, $599 is a lot of bones to cough up for something with this kind of issues. I'll update this thread as we get this sorted out. It may be helpful for someone else.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I believe I read somewhere else that it does not work with the sport roof without modification to the roof.

I love my SSV works and installation was a cinch but again, I don't have the sport roof.

SSV Works was pretty response to a few emails I sent regarding package contents and even responded here on the forum.

·
Vendor
210 Posts
Hi Chris, I know you talked to our techs last week and they walked you through it. As we understand your good to go.

for anyone else on the forums who has a question,

iT WILL work with a plastic sport roof. There's a thin piece of support flashing between the ribs of the roof. you have to cut this away with a razor knife, air saw etc... It's really easy. this flashing hits the bracket and stops it from sitting flat. A little Trim job and your good to go.

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply back. Yes, I did talk to one of the techs. I think his name might have been Nathan. At any rate, he advised me to do just as Trevor is saying. You must trim a piece of very thin plastic ribbing from the bottom of the roof. I used an exacto knife and cut it in a matter of a few seconds per side. Don't worry- it won't look hacked.

When I still mentioned the fact that I was still having issues getting the clamps to make up the distance to the roof, the advised me to just force it; press down on the roof. That does work, but getting a screwdriver to some of those screws is a MAJOR PITA! It's very difficult. Did I mention it sucks? One of the clamps that mounts near the center of the cage was impossible to reattach. Don't get me wrong, that roof isn't going anywhere and doesn't look off or skewed, but I still say there should be a better way. Be warned that this is NOT a "15 minute install" if you have a Sport roof.

Everything else about the SSV Works overhead stereo is great. It sounds nice. Almost zero base, but clarity is good. Mine has a bit of static at lower volume that you can hear when the engine is off.

Here's a few more pics of my install. I tried to do a clean job on the wiring because that's my OCD tendency- messy wiring. LoL!

The finished product:

The included remote and its holder. I haven't found a place I like to mount it. I just end up putting the remote in my shirt pocket.

A quick shot of my iPhone in the waterproof compartment. It charges while it's docked which is nice.

I ran the wiring inside the OEM cage tubing. It was difficult but nowhere near as bad as getting that roof back on. (I'm still keyed up about that)

And finally a shot of my battery box. You can see that I removed the factory tool kit compartment and made room for my winch contactor. I also have my overhead LED dome light/beer drinking light wired up and fused. It's fairly basic but clean.

Thanks for the support!
:banana:

Hi Chris, I know you talked to our techs last week and they walked you through it. As we understand your good to go.

for anyone else on the forums who has a question,

iT WILL work with a plastic sport roof. There's a thin piece of support flashing between the ribs of the roof. you have to cut this away with a razor knife, air saw etc... It's really easy. this flashing hits the bracket and stops it from sitting flat. A little Trim job and your good to go.

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Registered
195 Posts
No bass? From your iPod screen, you've got the music all wrong :eek5:

Sure, it isn't going to win a thumper contest but it does have bass, good mids and highs. On you iPod/touch, change the EQ to Rock and you'll enjoy your setup even more.

Just be careful of the connector to your i-device. Make sure you grip the sides of it to disengage it from the i-device port. The solder points on this cable are weak. Wish they would have made this cable longer/retractable because getting to smaller i-devices with the way the door is made is a pain.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice about the EQ settings. I changed it, and anything was far better than the default setting- rock, R&B, Bass Enhancer, etc.

I also apprecitate the heads-up about the solder connections. I've been gentle with the connector thus far.

I had to drill a small hole in the unit and pull the FM antenna through for better radio reception. I put a drop of black silicone to seal the hole back up because mud/water is a big part of my riding. I'm in a pretty rural area with no FM stations for a number of miles. With the antenna inside the unit, I could receive no stations. But now that the antenn is outside the enclosure, I can pick up about 3 stations... all of which are country and play plenty of George Strait. LoL
:alcoholic:

Thanks again to everyone for helping get my tunes installed.

No bass? From your iPod screen, you've got the music all wrong :eek5:

Sure, it isn't going to win a thumper contest but it does have bass, good mids and highs. On you iPod/touch, change the EQ to Rock and you'll enjoy your setup even more.

Just be careful of the connector to your i-device. Make sure you grip the sides of it to disengage it from the i-device port. The solder points on this cable are weak. Wish they would have made this cable longer/retractable because getting to smaller i-devices with the way the door is made is a pain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts