Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week or so I've been trying to figure out a way to make the Rhino's stock tank fuel sending unit communicate with the R1 cluster. I realize the R1 cluster doesn't have a fuel level gauge, but it does have a low fuel "dummy" light. Well, I finally figured it out. I used this circuit
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/lowfuelindicator01.swf
but I had to modify the value of the resistors a bit. Here is a picture of the finished circuit

You can see there is a "pot" (adjustable resistor) that allows me to set the desired fuel level to trigger the light. The output of this circuit triggers a relay which causes the low fuel light on the R1 dash to come on. It works quiet well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low Fuel Interface

I spent a bit more time today organizing the components on the board.

I added a relay to the board and sealed it.

Here you can see the box tucked away neatly under the center console.

This is the fuel level I adjusted the light to come on at.

Fuel light works!

What's nice about this circuit is that as long as you're using the stock fuel tank you can trigger a low fuel light on any gauge cluster that has it. Or if your cluster doesn't have a low fuel light, then you can just mount a 12 volt LED (like the type used with car alarms) somewhere on the dash. Anyone with an R1, Hayabusa, Rotax, or any motor swap can use this as long as you're using the stock fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks W.E. I just realized I can actually make a fuel level meter with this. It would take 6, or so, of these circuits, but I could trigger multiple LED's to indicate where the fuel is at any given time. I'll sit on this idea and try it out later...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts