Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone answere this....if i drive with no shield...i get a ton of wind in my face...and i only like seeing with my eyes...not through plastic or dirty glass...ive been looking at lots of styles....and i see on ebay a half for like 109...not bad....so anyone that has one what kind of wind protection do you get?...almost seams like with only a half...all of the air comeing up over hood gets diverted right at your face?...do you look through the shield or are you looking over it?..(line of sight on road)...dose it cut down on air to face ...50% or do you get no wind?...if you can inlighten me?..that would be great! :eek5:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I look over the top of mine and love havin it on! Wind on mine goes up and over your face does not bother my eyes at all. Much warmer in the winter with it on. Only part that is a downer is when its really muddy and splashs on the window makes trail riding when you get into tuff stuff a pain in the ya no! Other than that i love mine and would recomend it!

·
Registered
138 Posts
X2 on what Josh said, I have the half and the wife has a full. Nice in the summer b/c you get just enough air to cool you off but can ride without goggles if you want. A little cool in the winter but not unbearable. And if you get into some mud, you don't have to stop to clean it off. Not enough air flow in the summer with the full windshield for my taste, and even the best polycarbonate gets scratched up and that's a pain. Just get one with the 1 1/2 deflector at the top, you'll love it.

Tim

·
Registered
227 Posts
I look over the top of mine and love havin it on! Wind on mine goes up and over your face does not bother my eyes at all. Much warmer in the winter with it on. Only part that is a downer is when its really muddy and splashs on the window makes trail riding when you get into tuff stuff a pain in the ya no! Other than that i love mine and would recomend it!

This has been my experience as well..

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Well mine won't fit your vehicle due to your dash-bar but if you ever rode a street bike with a windshield you would know what to expect if that helps you any...

As far as your line of sight that depends on speed and attitude, your height...and the exact physical size of product you have and how you mounted it...

Take a piece of cardboard or whatever and strap it across your front as if it were your windshield and that is what it is like trying to see where you are going in the worst case...which is covered with mud...all swirled up...and facing into the sun....

That doesn't address the incredible amount of dust being pulled into your face tho...

I engineered my windshields to address all that and more...not only do they pop off in seconds when you want or need them gone...you can see around the sides of them very well...and they can be flexed back out of the way by hand momentarily as well...

The are more aerodynamic so the pull in less dust...are available with vent holes too...

They won't keep you dry in a rain storm...but other than that they are great to have...

Keep in mind that the photo posted in our vendor section is taken from tailgate level from behind the vehicle ... so the camera is looking thru the windshields...view from driver's seat is much different...

When riding alone you only need the driver's side on and the view is even better and even less dust being pulled in...

During the development of this product I actually painted on black and went riding...I would NOT recommend anyone doing that...however, I found it to be a minor annoyance at worst...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
x100 I agree with Josh !

·
Registered
381 Posts
I keep saying the Kolpin tilting winshield is the way to go!! Full windshield protection but vents if you want it to.

·
Registered
170 Posts
dudt dust dust i have the half yamaha one that folds in the middle. it does deflect the air over and helps for winter and fall but i cant run it in the summer the dust sucks up from behind the seats and kills a guy

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
dudt dust dust

EXACTLY...!!!

Ours has a lot of good features but the best feature of all is the second you don't need it you toss it in the bed...

Pulls in FAR less dust than a normal half shield...

I couldn't stand a half shield for a half mile...that is why ours exists...!

Also... until you have ridden as a passenger with our grab bar you don't know what you are missing...the grab bar, dash bar, windshields are all designed to work together...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
here my story.
when i bought my rhino it had a full windshield. i rode with it for a while but didnt like it. its too hard to see with the glare, or it gets covered in mud. also with no airflow the cab would get too hot from the engine heat. i removed the shield and tucked it away.
we ride all year round here so once it was winter and cold temps i was wanting the wind protection. i put it back on but still the same visiblity issues. so one day i took a jigsaw to it and cut it in half. it still cuts down the wind so im not freezing. now when it gets muddy i can still see over the top. ive never had any issues with it sucking in dust either.
my opinion is the half shield is the way to go
you can see how tall mine is

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
here my story.
when i bought my rhino it had a full windshield. i rode with it for a while but didnt like it. its too hard to see with the glare, or it gets covered in mud. also with no airflow the cab would get too hot from the engine heat. i removed the shield and tucked it away.
we ride all year round here so once it was winter and cold temps i was wanting the wind protection. i put it back on but still the same visiblity issues. so one day i took a jigsaw to it and cut it in half. it still cuts down the wind so im not freezing. now when it gets muddy i can still see over the top. ive never had any issues with it sucking in dust either.
my opinion is the half shield is the way to go
you can see how tall mine is

Nice ride! That is a good bit taller than mine. Mine is a yamaha and it has a inch or so lip on the top that goes foward and i think that lip helps alot with the wind going over my head and not in my face. I would not give up my half sheid! Love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought this set up right before the Elk hunt. Havent had the opportunity to try it with the windshield down yet. Love the warmth of the full windshield in the cold though. The only downfall's so far are the glare from the sun, and scratches. I tried applying rain-x to the surface for ease of removing mud, but that did not seem to help much. Interested also to know how the half windshield performs. We'll see with time.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just installed a Yamaha OEM 1/2 windsheild. It was about $180. Before I bought it, I was able to compare it to the aftermarket sheilds that were around $100, and the OEM sheild was almost twice as thick and very sturdy. It fits great, works great, and looks awesome. The individual shields look like a good idea, but kinda pricey and they look a little goofy. I did have a little trouble seeing out of mine after a 4 hr trek, but I took a water spray bottle and some wipes and cleaned it a couple times.:headbang:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts