Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I broke a rod in my 660. Stock rod gave up the goods.

Now I have the task of finding out what I have and replacing parts. I bought this engine already built up and need to identify the parts correctly for replacement. I've posted pics of some of the parts and damage.

Looks like a better rod is needed here. Carillo?

The sleeve is cracked at the bottom.

It knocked a part off the head.

Looks like the middle drive gear has already been upgraded.

Markings on the crank. 90?

Markings on the crank. HP5?

Cam tensioner has been welded offset.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine broke almost just like that but I had smaller pieces.. There are a lot of aftermarket parts in there. There are a lot of aftermarket parts out there to fix that and lots of Chinese that can make it run again. You are looking at about 1500 to 2000 for parts to fix that if you do your own repairs. There may be a some people that would have parts to help out on this forium. Good luck!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need a new rod and piston.
Probably a new sleeve.
Gasket set.
Gonna see if my guy can weld the case.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

u got lucky how that rod embedded itself where it did and didn't go the other way, I would say those cases are totally fixable, lucky,that saved you a ton of cash....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can I aquire a carrillo rod for this motor? Any good vendors here sell em. I looked on a few websites but didn't see them listed.

That seems to be the week spot.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Where can I aquire a carrillo rod for this motor? Any good vendors here sell em. I looked on a few websites but didn't see them listed.

I stock Carrillo rods and all factory parts to rebuild the crank. We also do the labor in house.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
581 Posts

Give me a call again when you get a chance. Taking a closer look at your pics and after talking to you I do not think you have a 105 bore right now. I think you are 102mm and that piston does not look like a JE 10.0:1 with that dome. You sure that is the compression?

Nate

·
Registered
286 Posts

I stock Carrillo rods and all factory parts to rebuild the crank. We also do the labor in house.

Nate
Alba Racing
Give Nate a call he has been a great help to me during my build and do great work they rebuilt my crank with a Carrillo rod and welded and balanced it once I got it back I also decided to have them Port and Polish my head and do a valve job.

Great place to deal with.

Taylor

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

I had Crankworks build my crank using new bearings, Carillo rod, balance the assy to the CP piston with the DLC wrist pin, true and key the crank and drive gear. Good peeps!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Chris at Benchmark offers a 102.5 piston. I suggest installing a DLC wrist pin. It looks like the wrist pin seized.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Its pretty obvious imo that it was a defective rod...

Been there...

Carrillo is the best rod to use in the rhino imo...

Regardless of whether the piston broke first or not...if the rod forging was good it would not have sapped in half where it did...

I had a CP 102mm piston break at the wrist pin like that with a Carrillo rod going 65 mph at over 8,000 rpms...

It was on pavement and it locked up so hard it snapped a chromalloy axle in half...

The the wrist pin stayed in the rod...rod was barely tweaked...cases were not damaged...

Had a stock motor grenade going 38 mph... Piston crumbled... rod snapped in half at just above the big end at it's thickest point...destroyed the motor... rod bearing was in excellent condition... motor was clean as a whistle and had extremely little wear... but for broken parts...

I have seen lots of stock motors that piston broke into pieces and rod was bent but never broke...

A large percentage of the factory rods are good forgings...many are not...if you have a weak one look out...because it will break someday even if you baby it...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
It could have been the wristpin that failed. Not sure what would cause that. What is a DLC wrist pin?
DLC wrist pins have a coating on them that have little craters. The craters hold oil in them. The stock rod has no bearing or bushing in it. Steel rod against a steel wrist pin. The stock piston/wrist pin combo has oiling issues. Carillo rods have a bronze bushing in them that is replaceable. Along with the Carillo rod and DLC you should have no more issues with them. I installed that combo in mine 1200 miles ago with no issues, after my stock rod and wrist pin started to gall. Luckily I caught it before it did what yours did!

Greg at Unleashed had the DLC pins in stock. They are inexpensive and worth every penny.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what do you guys think about the HotRods Stroker Crank Rods? They are getting their pistons made by CP. Not sure who makes the rods.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am using a Hot Rod connecting rod in my 727 Rhino, the stock rods are about as strong as a wet noodle...............
I have over a 1000kms on this setup I use, it's tops speed is around 104kms at 8300rpm, the only thing I want to do to it next is balance the crank since it does have a bit of vibration at idle speeds........

1 - 20 of 40 Posts