Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned 2 Yamaha Rhino's, a 2004 660 that gave me good service and a 2011 700 that my insurance company just told me they are going to total it since I had an accident and bent the frame. I have no problem buying another Yamaha but I know there are several other options out there now and I want to get some inpup from others. I know this is a Rhino forum but thought you might know of something that might work better for you. I will be using it strictly for hunting, no hot rodding or racing, so a vehicle that will do 40-45 mph is fine, although I like the Yamaha 700 torque. I want camo color, and most important, as QUIET as possible. I like the size of the Rhino so the smaller the better. I hunt in Northern California and go out of state a lot. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like another rhino would work good for you or polaris makes a ranger 400 that is small. It is really basic inside though .....no speedo or gauges as far as i know.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yamaha is a good choice for your needs. I think a Teryx would be good too. Maybe a Can-Am Commander 800?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I might look at the Teryx4 if I was shopping again....only draw backs are a much smaller bed and IMO that front end is ugly......

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I might look at the Teryx4 if I was shopping again....only draw backs are a much smaller bed and IMO that front end is ugly......
I just sold my 4 seat Rhino and got a Teryx4. I was never a big fan of the front end either, but it has grown on me over the years. The T4 is a pretty awesome machine, but a little big for what the OP asked for, which is why I didn't suggest it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just sold my 4 seat Rhino and got a Teryx4. I was never a big fan of the front end either, but it has grown on me over the years. The T4 is a pretty awesome machine, but a little big for what the OP asked for, which is why I didn't suggest it.
I saw a Teryx4 sitting outside a dealer today on the way home and it's a big machine. Looked good though....it was blue but would have looked really good in Camo...........
I like the smaller size of the Rhino for getting around in the woods but a 4 seater would be nice. I also like a little bigger bed as I tend to carry a lot of stuff with me. I am getting ready to build me a special Rhino trailer like I have for my Honda Foreman....see....nice for carrying stuff.
I had a yard cart trailer for years and wore it out and just built this one based on that .....it is much tougher of course then the old craftsman cart....I have been putting things together to start on the Rhino version of this but not as tall as the Rhino with 27" tires.....I am short....

·
Registered
673 Posts
The new rzr 570 looks as if it will beat a 660 or 700 rhino no problem... If you aren't looking for a hot rod, maybe that one would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Rhino is still the best quality unit out there.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

the new wild cat is sweet, lol
hey benzo, I drove that new artic cat last week, the frame is made in china and ship'd to the usa for assembly and it shows, its an underengineered clunkbox, the fit and finish and ride is a joke,squirely and slower than an xp and commander...has some travel,but once you check out the suspension geometry and lack of ruggedness you will pass, trust me its done before it shows up.......

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
the new wild cat is sweet, lol
hey benzo, I drove that new artic cat last week, the frame is made in china and ship'd to the usa for assembly and it shows, its an underengineered clunkbox, the fit and finish and ride is a joke,squirely and slower than an xp and commander...has some travel,but once you check out the suspension geometry and lack of ruggedness you will pass, trust me its done before it shows up.......

no chit so its a fail ! ?

the whole frame is tubing its still chity from china cuz they welded it ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Anything can be camo'd. You can buy an add-on exhaust to make any machine quieter.

Since you said smaller is better, in my opinion your only choices are Rhino or RZR. The Rhino is 54.5" wide if you remove the rear wheel spacers. The Teryx is 58" wide. Wildcat is over 60" wide if I recall. The RZR is only 50" wide, but has a smaller bed than the Rhino, so might be less useful for hunting.

Rhino has 4wd and locker that YOU control, and an engine brake. RZR is AWD and no engine brake.

Rhinos are reliable. Polaris may be the way out, but Yamaha is the way back.

Although I must say that 4-seater Teryx looks like it would make a sweet hunting machine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thunderbolt, I am now favoring Rhino because of size and also accessories I have on my 2011 that I can use on it, such as overfenders, reservoir shocks, and the big one is Curtis Cab. You mention an add on muffler to quiet it down. I have used the Benz and other add ons, along with taking it to a muffler shop and adding on a small car muffler. The Benz and others were not effective, and I took off the car muffler when someone told me it would create too much back pressure and ruin my engine. Is that true? If not, what kind of car muffler should I be looking at?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have not tried any add-on mufflers as I haven't found the need yet.

Kolpin has a Stealth Exhaust 2.0 that say reduces the noise by 5-7 dB with no loss of performance.

Hopefully somebody with experience with this or other add-on mufflers can comment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.