Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Rhino world. Purchased a 2006 660 to take to Moab a couple of months ago. Started and ran pretty good. Changed fluid, filters, etc. Took it to Moab and the fuel pump died. (Two liter bottle with filter and some extra vent lines got us out)
My issue now is it has become almost impossible to shift while running. Start the engine in idle and you can shift to High or reverse but after that it is a struggle to shift. High idle is not the issue. I can turn it down to where it will almost die and that does not solve the problem.

Pulled the cover and watched the clutches. As soon as I go to forward or reverse it does shift a little hard. As i rev it secondary and primary both appear to be operating as normal. In gear and in idle the primary does not spin but it does appear to shudder back and forth until rpm's pick up. I pulled the cage off the primary and (in a safe manner) held on to the primary and turned it slightly towards the front of the rhino or against rotation with the engine idling while my wife shifted through the gears. If i do this i can shift through all the gears with the engine running.

Question: wet clutch issue or one way?.

I have not dealt with either of these but i am willing to learn. Any advice or suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm no Rhino/ATV expert and I'm here to learn. Isn't there a motor oil for wet clutches, and some not for wet clutches? It sends an alarm to me that this happened after an oil change. You seem knowledgable, you'll get it figured out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yamaha of course recommends Yamalube but I know some people run Rotella or amsoil, and some regular castrol or an equivalent. If i pull out the wet clutch, I imagine I will use Yamalube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts