Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how far can a stock clutch be machined? i allready have a utv crap one. but if this stock one can give me even more umph then why not. also with the mods listed in sig im hittin around 53mph with 2 ppl on it and it gets there pretty dang fast in my opinion. it does need a carb tune. but is it possible to get CLOSER to the 58-60 numbers? without breakin the bank? aka under $50? thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't know anything about utv crap sheaves, so I can't help you with that. But I can tell you that I gained almost 4mph from adjusting my throttle cable so that it opened the carb all the way up and a few more mph from rejetting my carb, so there is hope. I doubt you'll get to 60 though. I have a JBS clutch and only hit 56-57.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Oh boy. Here we go again.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have i asked this before? lol i prob have. but the mods have changed a bit. but yea ill try that. im thinkin ill see maybe 58. it seems to have more just sputters a tad and doesnt wanna go all the way out

·
Banned
354 Posts
have i asked this before? lol i prob have. but the mods have changed a bit. but yea ill try that. im thinkin ill see maybe 58. it seems to have more just sputters a tad and doesnt wanna go all the way out
Inside joke.
Go with JBS. Period. Non better. Period.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't really want to participate in the whole JBS war. But if you have questions about machining then ask the guy that does that. His name is Adam Harvey his link is: Airdam Clutches - For People Who Want to Go Fast! he's been building custom clutches for Arctic Cats and others for years. He is hard to get a hold of but does excellent work and can help you go faster

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah, i have a utv crap. im not buyin another one. im tryna find a use for my stocker. and will do on contactin the airdam guy. also for all those suckers who say a rhino 660 cant do 60 or even close.... i found the prob to my jetting, its that i have the console off for the snorkels and so when i run no snorkel to the airbox its lean. so a taped a third of it off and now it runs great. (temporary fix) and so i took it out for a speed run. hit 57 and had 3/4 an inch of pedal left to the floor :yahoo: . she woulda done 60 but the motor sounded like it was gonna explode. and so now im wonderin how to i get more fuel/air in the top end and keep it from becomin in 10 million peices. any thoughts? :D

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
let me rephrase my goal. im happy with the top speed. but i want to be able to run 50 alot. and keep the motor from falling apart. so what do i need to do to do that? rad relocate, bigger rad, cooling stuff, big bore, bulk up motor.... what would need to be done?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Other guys on this forum can recommend upgrades for your engine durability. I don't go very fast usually so my upgrades have been for low end torque. There is some machine work that can be performed to your OEM or aftermarket primary and secondary to add even more top end (if your motor produces enough power). All that to say if you focus on top end speed you will at some point sacrifice low end power.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
winging the stock motor all day long is going to make it blow up!...the cast piston is the weak link!....while in there upgrade the middle drive support and connecting rod, then you should have a strong more reliable motor to run higher rpms for longer periods of time...my two cents...the piston is junk!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
if you run with out the clutch covers you can run the belt up a tad higher and possibly machine out more of the roller relief areas on the big end of the sheave allowing for a higher final drive ratio, but in doing soo you have to be careful as not to push the belt out too high and cause it to slip or overtighten...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so at some point ill build it up, till then ill just drive slower.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts