Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I think I may have made a mistake. I bought a SCF with elka elites. What is considered a good price on this kit also (hope I dint pay to much). I have a friend that says it is not a good kit. Can you guys shine some light on why it is a bad kit. What can be done to make it a good reliable kit? Did I make a mistake?

·
Vendor
9,660 Posts
i heard the kits nice, and those shocks are the chit. the only problem was some bad PR from customers on Thad's customer service and shipping wrong stuff.. etc. BrianB has the kit and loves it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
it is one of the best kits out there that you can buy, your friend doesn't know what he is talking about :fingersx: That kit rocks and the elka elites are the best and most adjustable shock for the rhino. the only bad thing about SCF is the service, there are a few horror stories about them :headbang:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
From what I hear ......

The kit gets and A+

Their Customer Service gets an F (they had a few issues but you will have to see for yourself .... let us know what your experiences are)

There is nothing that you can do to make it better .... install it and go have fun ..... It is a good kit .....

If you want to know if you paid to much you will have to tell us what you paid for it .....

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It is crazy that a company like that has sucks crappy service. Normally that is detramental to a company. Remember it only takes one person to kill a business,,,then he tell ten people and so on.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I love my SCF kit! Looks sick as hell! No comment on his customer service. Just bad for business tellin you what I think. He reads the forums too he says! BUt he has been more than fair to me lately. He sent me some cleviss at no charge just to be a cool dude... Sometimes its hard to get ahold of him though when you need him... That I can agree on, but I do know that he has 7X as much going on than we do, and a gang of people working for him, I guess pimpin ain't easy like 2 short says! And he seems to be on top of the world in his neck of the woods, so more power to him and his great designs in fab work, but hopefully more power to some in need of his help if need be. I love my kit and comes with nice tie rod setup and he does offer some sick spindles. I sell his kit, with all the shock options, and if I were to do it again, I'd go with his kit.... And whats funny is, the least likely guy to get my biz for long travel would be the company that has the exact same arm (pretty much). An exact duplicate!!! Toxic rhinos. What a hoax!!! I'll be damn if he even sells any kits. I don't hear any good of that place..... oh well

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I have the SCF kit. I will agree that the kit is bad azz. The customer service isn't great. It took me 6 weeks to get my kit from him. When I got it there was a few parts missing that Thad gladly gave me....But when I got my kit one of the gorilla axles was a half inch short. It kept poping out on me until I figured it out. Well Thad made it good and gave me a used axle until my new one came in......well 4 months later I still have a used axle and I have gave up on trying to get ahold of him for the new one.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
the kit has a high frequency of spindle failures due to incorrect suspension geometry.

Why else do they sell aftermarket spindles if their kits werent breaking the stock ones all the time?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
You may be right. I have not broke a spindle yet but I have bent them. That was due to offset wheels. I dont race or anything but I do run the piss out of my rhino in the dunes. I'm sure that a track or desert racing is alot harder on equiptment than just balls to the wall duning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My .02 I have the SCF kit also. No problems and a great kit. I beat the crap out of it and it is still holding tuff. Have not broke or bent any spindles. Only broke a CV boot, but that was not a kit problem, just crap happens.

Yes, I had the problems with not getting it when I wanted it and the wrong pins being shipped, but again, good things come to those who wait.

So still an A+ in my book. Hurt feeling get better, but a crappy kit does not.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Oh boy here goes Mr ''O'' again , doesn't everybody know that he works for SCF in the engineering dept. I replaced all my wheel hub's and sprocket hub on my trx 450 not because the geometry was wrong on my LSR arm's but, because they are lighter and look better.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
All I am saying is that I wouldnt put my hard earned cash into a kit that breaks down this much in competition. Maybe thats why they dont win any races with that suspension.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
And coming to the finish line we have another SCF failure, limping across for the Checkers!!!

So what needs to be changed on these arms to fix this. more camber?

·
Banned
49 Posts
Give me a break

All I am saying is that I wouldnt put my hard earned cash into a kit that breaks down this much in competition. Maybe thats why they dont win any races with that suspension.

What a joke this post is. I have a SCF kit and can tell you it is on of the best kit's on the market. If it sucked so hard why did Toxic copy the arms Set up. It uses chromoly. So cal utv does not Long travel rhino sure as hell doesn't. So you took some pics of Full race rhinos fully cages fuel cell etc... who are racing on a short course MX and beat the living snot out of their rhino's and a spindle breaks now all of a sudden you are a geometry expert??? They sell a billet spindle cause yamaha didn't design the rhino to have 6+ arms added to it and offset rims placing all the load on the weak link a spindle!! when it comes down to it their are about 4-5 great arms made. It's not rocket science for the average user which is 98% of us the SCF kit is a sweet purchase. Spindles are not breaking beacuse of their arms And it's comedy you think they sell spindles as a answer to a crappy kit. owner: :man this sucks my kit has the wrong geometry how should I fix this....redesign my arms.....NO NO wait I got im gonna go through the headache and r&d of designing a billet spindle and sell for a outrageous amount of money!!!1 YEAH IM SO SMART hahahha give me a break dude

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Offroadryan -

what causes spindle failure? According to you its caused by a poor Yamaha design. Sure, spindles will break when someone puts on wide offset wheels and spacers on a stock rhino and they bomb on their Rhino.

At the same time, spindles will also break when the suspensions pivot points are changes from the factory geometry.

The racing scene for the Rhinos is where i look to see how products are working under the HARSHEST conditions. It doesnt matter what it is, if its suspension, axles, engines, etc... if its breaking on them constantly in competition I dont think its a good product.

Let me ask you this question directly, I bet you wont have an answer worth noting... If the spindles were designed so fragile, how do you explain other long travel suspensions (Masons, LSR, Rhino Mafia) not having any spindle failures in competition?

·
Banned
49 Posts
Offroadryan -

what causes spindle failure? According to you its caused by a poor Yamaha design. Sure, spindles will break when someone puts on wide offset wheels and spacers on a stock rhino and they bomb on their Rhino.

At the same time, spindles will also break when the suspensions pivot points are changes from the factory geometry.

The racing scene for the Rhinos is where i look to see how products are working under the HARSHEST conditions. It doesnt matter what it is, if its suspension, axles, engines, etc... if its breaking on them constantly in competition I dont think its a good product.

Let me ask you this question directly, I bet you wont have an answer worth noting... If the spindles were designed so fragile, how do you explain other long travel suspensions (Masons, LSR, Rhino Mafia) not having any spindle failures in competition?

What top team runs those kits? and I will bet you at one point or time someone with their kit bent or broke a spindle and you are smoking crack if you disagree

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Toxic copied the arms because SCF was the only game in town practically... I am sure they would have copied *anybody* that had a kit out at that time.

Just because your kit is the first long travel out there it doesnt mean its the best, and So Cal Fab proves that... there are much better kits out there that work well with the stock suspension parts.

·
Banned
6 Posts
First off I'll bet Mr O a $100 bucks that there is 10 SCF kit's out there to eveybody elses 1. With that ratio I would think the odds of a broken spindle would be greater. Also I believe SCF never broke a spindle in competion besides the prototype aluminum one's pictured above. See how accurate Mr O's info is, because if I remember correctly SCF won the Sand Car Challenge and The Side x Side Nationals Let alone pretty much started short course racing.
One more thing what is the spindle failure on stock rhino's with thier suspension compared to race rhino's with there suspension or is their a differnence, of course there is most people build there racers like a 800 horsepower trophy truck.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't know why people are not using chromoly, there is not that much difference in cost. But if everything is made right you are not going to bend an a arm at all, chromoly, DOM. You really have to do something serious to bend it...

I don't think we were talking about what type of metal is being used to produce a arms. But for the hell of it here is a comparision of metals

Yield strength comparison (approximate psi)
Mild steel tube = 40,000
Black iron pipe = 47,000
Stainless steel = 65,000
4130 Chromoly = 101,000

So back to the geometry of the arms. I failed that class back in the day and had to take it in summer school. :haha:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.